Buyer claims item not received

Hi folks, would appreciate some thoughts / advice on this one.

I recently sold a ring for $50. I posted it over the counter at AP in a plain envelope (the ring was inside a ring box & wrapped in tissue paper) for standard parcel delivery. I have a receipt with a tracking number. I was a bit rushed that day so marked it on eBay as posted but didn't upload the tracking number (silly me!).

The buyer contacted me first on Wed to say he hadn't received it. I checked the tracking & sent him the number in a message - it was still in transit. Yesterday he contacted me to say the postie knocked on his door & handed him my envelope which had been partially opened (clean looking cut on one end) with nothing inside. He sent me a photo of the envelope. The AP website says the parcel has been delivered.

I've looked for info on websites and made some phone calls. AP say he will need to lodge a complaint with them, taking in the envelope so they can invetsigate (I can't initiate it as I don't have the envelope). Paypal say a claim can be lodged under buyer (seller) protection. I've advised him to lodge a complaint with AP and perhaps initiate an item not received claim in the resolution centre.

Today he has said he doesn't have time for that, it wasn't safe to send the ring in a "plain un-reinforced envelope" and at the end of the day he's paid for something he didn't receive. He's asking me to just refund him today.

I've sent items through AP for years with no issue. The other items I sent around the same time seem to have all arrived without incident. My feedback is excellent and I feel like I'm being held to ransom with the looming threat of negative feedback.

From my perspetive, although I don't believe he's lying, I have proof of it being sent and tracking to say it's been delivered. I want to help him resolve this but it's now got difficult if he refuses to do anything.

Lots of lessons for me in this one but could use some words of wisdom to consider please. Anyone?

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I also bought a coin which was sent in a plain envelope and when I received it, looked like it was jammed in the sorting machine and a small hole in the bottom corner. No coin of course.

Seller refunded, suggest you do the same and only send things like that in small padded envelopes. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

Sounds dodgey, put the claim through and insist he has to follow it up, if it did fall out it maybe at the local post office, sounds like he may have done it, doesn't like the ring and wants his money back without the hassle, delivery contractor will be able to tell you, follow the case through, people lie because its easy.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

I agree with lozyginns.  While it may be true that the ring is lost, the fact that you can prove delivery (I'm assuming - but could be wrong) that you would win a paypal dispute.  While I agree that you probably should refund since it seems your packaging is at fault, as you are not obligated to the least the buyer could do is chase it up through AP.  That would seem to me to be the decent thing to do, if he wants you to do the decent thing.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

If he really cares .... he'd follow it up with A/Post.

You need to go through the 'procedures' first, with eBay and A/Post.    Anyone can say an item isn't received.    I sympathise with you 😞

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Hi, Mae. I buy lots of jewellery from here and o'seas and never had this happen to me, ever, in all the years I've bought from Ebay sellers. Sounds real suss to me. I think he's trying it on. Has the ring but angling for the money back as well. If the ring was in a ring box even less likely it was lost from going through the sorting machine. The fact that the opening was a neat clipped cut rings alarm bells for me as one would think that it would be a torn, irregular opening. Just my opinion but I would be very suspicious if I was a seller.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

The ring (in box) was posted in a plain paper envelope though. The quality of paper envelopes is pretty low these days, they split very easily without much pressure.

OP any reason you don't buy postage online with eBay postage labels? The postage costs are lower than parcel rate over the counter. Plus the tracking number is loaded automatically into ebay records and buyer receives tracking number notification.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

This one sounds 'smelly'.

Envelope cut - easy.

AP says it is delivered - do you think an employee of AP would deliver such an item.

They have stickers for all sorts of 'accidents' that can occur through 'human error'.

You know where you sent to - I would be calling and telling them the story - did they deliver such an item.

Almost bet on the answer.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

My advice would be to just follow the correct process.  You have a tracking number so you can prove delivery.  Initiate an investigation through the AustPost website (follow the endless links).  If the buyer initiates a Paypal claim, escalate it to a dispute and provide your tracking number as proof.  From my experience, Aust Post will stand by their proof of delivery and generally Paypal will find in your favour.

You don't know whether the buyer is lying or not so you really have to stick to the facts.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Hi All 

I do sympathises with you 

Perhaps ,, tell the buyer ,,,you are going to speak to the deliver person 

first thing Monday morning 

see if he umm and errs 

YES to keep are postage costs down we all post in plain envolpes 

howsoever I post in padded envelopes ... cost me more but 

piece of mind 

Message 10 of 35