Buyer complaint as no charger included

usmas_3
Community Member

Hello,

To keep it short I recently sold a MacBook. The description was used and all the pictures had only the MacBook in it, there was also no mention of me sending it in the original box but I did anyways as I couldn't find a suitable box to post it in.

Here is the description as follows: 

Very good cosmetic condition, little to no marks/scratches (See pictures).
Free clear hard shell case cover included
Fully working though it can randomly lose charge as the battery needs replacing.

If you have any questions please ask, I will take reasonable offers too.
Thanks 🙂

I ended up selling it £40 cheaper via best offer.

A couple days later the buyer messages me asking if I had included a charger, to which i responded no. They then replied saying that when you buy a laptop you presume that everything comes with it, and they first wanted a reimbursement (in spite of the discount already),  but a couple of back and forth later they now will be making a complaint.

Am I in the wrong here? 

Though I should have put no charger included now that I look back on it, in my defence I have advertised it as a used laptop and that is exactly what they have received. 

It can't be my fault the buyer presumed it came with everything as there was no mention of it, and no mention of it being boxed, even in the pictures. 

Ive never dealt with an eBay complaint before so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would have thought there would be a charger but as you say it was not mentioned in description.  Maybe buyer should have asked prior to sale. 

By the way you are on the Aussie boards.  Maybe peeps in UK have diff ideas.

Maybe ask on UK forums

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Most reasonable people would assume the charger is included, the buyer is tight to be annoyed there was no mention of them needing to have one suitable or buy one separately 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

As others have said, if there was no mention of the cable/charger NOT being included then most would assume the item is with it.

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

How did you keep the thing working yourself then, if you had no charger for it?

You must have had one-even if it was one you shared with another laptop or whatever.

You even mentioned charging in your ad, as in 'the battery can lose charge'.

So you were obviously charging it, which is why the buyer assumed it came with a charger.

I wouldn't say a buyer should assume an item comes with 'everything' but if a particular item is necessary for the laptop  to function, then I think a seller has a responsibility to mention if it is missing.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If you dont see a charger in a photo and no mention of one in the description then there is a chance no charger is included. As a seller you are always best to list what is included and for certain buyers list what is not to save issues down the road.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Always best to be super clear about what is or is not included.

If I was buying a laptop and it came without a charger, I would be seriously annoyed, especially if it wasn't clarified in the listing. I would think the charger is an integral part of the package. 

What I would do is apologise to the buyer for any confusion, and then offer them a small refund - the equivalent of what a charger would cost them.

If they insist on a full refund, then they should send the laptop back. This would be a situation where technically a case should be opened so that you can send them a return shipping label (at your cost),  but wait and see if they accept the smaller refund instead.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I think the issue here is that it's not unreasonable of the buyer to assume that a charger would be included, because it's usually standard that chargers are included with any electronic device that you'd buy in a bricks and mortar store.

So I think the argument could be made that it's misleading in that sense (and for something to be deemed misleading per the ACCC, it doesn't have to have been intentional). As the decision rests with eBay, if the buyer opens a case then you'd likely win because technically it is as described.

It reminds me of a situation where I once bought some lamps and the seller was in Australia. When I received them, they had European plugs, but there was no mention of this in the listing. Tbh I was pretty annoyed because I felt that that should've been disclosed but technically the lamps were as described, it was just that that information was omitted.

I'd do as others have said and offer a partial refund, because tbh, it's something you should've put in the listing (you didn't HAVE to, but you should've).

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I reckon you will lose a case for item not as described.

You state the battery may lose charge.  So the battery goes flat, and there is no means to recharge it, therefore the item does not work ( as per used item).   Buyer claims item faulty battery wont charge, you lose.

So if the buyer knows what they are doing,  you are likely to the lose the item and proceeds.

By the way, speaking from experience.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Other forums advise  the battery charger is also known as a power adaptor, and for the item to be listed in used condition the power adaptor must be provided.   Otherwise the item should be listed for parts or repair.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply