Buyer destroys proof coin

I sold a proof coin to a person which was as new and got a refund request saying due to coin damaged and dirty and also case damaged. The coin was as new when I sent it so I know that the buyer either destroyed it or had another one and replaced it for mine. What can a seller do about this as now I am out of pocket and buyer ruined coin to cause 0 $ value. It really makes me reconsider selling anything else.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

With the greatest of respect... you will not know what has happened until the coin is returned or you were present to see what the buyer did.

Accept the return & deal with it then.

There are times when eBay offers some seller protection.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Well with respect, the coin was enclosed in a airproof capsule as provided by mint as new in double box and now capsule is completely damaged with dirt inside capsule and coin severely scratched so I think it is evident that buyer attempted to open capsule with screwdriver. If someone was attempting to steal coin they would take the whole box basically buyer has stolen from me and yes got a refund but at the end of the day he basically did the damage.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

You did not mention in your OP that the buyer had returned the coin & received a refund.

My reply would have been different had you done so.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

It all comes down to your word against the buyers, and without definitive proof to the contrary, ebay will side with the buyer.    No one here knows what happened to the item.  If you are very lucky and suck up to ebay, you might get a goodwill payment, you may need to check with the carrier to see if any damage to the packaging was recorded in transit.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It's quite possible that the buyer did a switcheroo. Did you post photos of both sides of the coin in your ad? If so, I'd be getting onto ebay and requesting them to look at the photos, and find out how you can send a photo of what you got back. Did it have a COA with a number? 

Ebay won't take the money back off the buyer, but they might refund you out of their own pocket. Just remember to be polite in any communication with them. If you go off like a bull at a gate, they will slam the door in your face. 

Please come back and let us know how you go.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply