Buyer didn't answer my message

I'm selling bodysuits and I have 3 different colours and sizes. In the description of the item, I asked to the seller to send me a message with the information, if not I'll send a random bodysuit. This lady bought a bodysuit and I sent her about 4 messages asking for the information but she answered after I sent the item. Now she wants another size and colour, not sure what to do. Do I have to ask her to send me the item and I will send her a new one?
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer didn't answer my message

You should never send an item without confirming exactly what the buyer wants.

But, I can understand if you were worried about shipping it too late and the buyer opening eBay and/or PayPal claims against you, making you want to get it sent sooner.

I make and sell customised posters and I get buyers who buy a poster but forget to send me the required information for the poster.  Eventually they wake up and respond.  I do not send anything until I get the info, and it hasn't caused me any problems even if a week plus has passed before the buyer got back to me.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

IMO it is a bit silly to send a random bodysuit - how can that work?

In this case, you could advise the buyer that the item has already been sent - she could mark the item "return to sender" unopened.   On a good day this will not cost you anything - but sometimes, apparently randomly, Aust Post will charge you for the return.

And explain that when you receive the returned item, you will send the correct one.   Explain about the 4 unanswered messages.

Or you could just send the correct one now and rely on her honesty to return the other.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Why do you not use a listing with variations?
Does the particular category not support this?
That way the buyer just selects the size and colour they want from drop down on the listing and that is what you see on your order details.
Most of our listings make extensive use of this feature.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I had problems with this before, the buyer did not answer my messages about colours and I waited for their answer and later they complained about how fast I did the delivery.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I want to try listing options but I'm not a store and my understanding is that eBay charges additional fees.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

You should never send an item without confirming exactly what the buyer wants.

But, I can understand if you were worried about shipping it too late and the buyer opening eBay and/or PayPal claims against you, making you want to get it sent sooner.

I make and sell customised posters and I get buyers who buy a poster but forget to send me the required information for the poster.  Eventually they wake up and respond.  I do not send anything until I get the info, and it hasn't caused me any problems even if a week plus has passed before the buyer got back to me.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

For future listings where more than one colour and size is available, when you request that the buyer specify their preferred colour or size, also clearly state that if they don't, you'll send out a "default" colour and size (eg: Small, in White).

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Wow, I understand sellers get spooked by the idea of being dinged for slow postage, but sending a random bodysuit is just as likely to get you into hot water in my opinion. As someone else said, that was never going to work.

A drop down menu as clarry suggests would be the best way to go, even if it costs a bit more.

If you don't want to do that, then I would say this is where you need to have a short sentence in caps or larger and in colour, right at the start of the ad, to say buyers need to contact you after purchase to let you know size and colour.

Personally, I would never have a default or random size/colour that I sent out. You can perhaps do that with beach bags or that sort of thing, but not body suits.

You say she answered after you had sent the item. Did she answer before she actually received the item though or did she message you only after it arrived?

I think you do need to offer an exchange in either case but if she answered before receiving the item, I really think you need to offer the return postage too.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

As far as I know multi-variation listings are available to a non store holder as long as the category you are trying to list into permits it.

There is no extra fee to create a multi-variation listing.

Try it... if its not allowed then you will not see the option to add variations.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Wow thank you very much. I didn't know that I can send the item one week after if I'm unsure of the size/colour. Next time I'll wait for an answer.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply