Buyer didn't specify street unit number, got very angry even after I promised refund.

Buyer lives at unit 2 of an address ( 3 units in total), he ddin't specify it, item is not delivered.

Since the item is only $6.95 in value, it's untracked so I don't know where it went, so I decided to issue him the refund.

However I wanted to find out how things work so I can avoid these problems in future, so I contacted eBay.  eBay said I'm protected by seller protection if I can prove that this item is delivered to the address without unit number, then she said eBay will make sure seller can't make a undelivered claim. But again since item is untracked, I can't prove anything.

So I stopped the eBay chat and very politely informed buyer that I will issue him the refund. Buyer kept saying this has never been a problem in the past. So completely out of curiosity I asked him how is it possible ?? And I said as per my Auspost knowledge, the postman will probably take the letter back to the post office and throw it in a undelivered letter bin.

Then buyer exploded.

He said "

Listen mate,
like i said before, my address has never been an issue. Don't try and jerk me around with your post office insider knowledge. Ive pretty much had enough.
ill give you some time, but if it doesn't arrive, theres going to be a problem.
Do NOT play me for a fool!"

What the heck was that about ??

My question:

If buyer does not specify unit number of an address (3 units in total), I assume the postment will take it back to the post office. Is it correct? Or maybe postman will drop it in the letter box of unit 1 ??

Buyer said he never had an issue buying stuff online like that, can it be true ??

Why buyer got so upset even after I promised refund?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer didn't specify street unit number, got very angry even after I promised refund.

Issue a refund and put the buyer on the BBL to avoid further aggro

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Issue a refund and put the buyer on the BBL to avoid further aggro

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Had one years ago at a set of units we ended up  living at and everything was put into unit 1's box or into his

hands if was waiting and they delivered it to the other 3 units.

That only changed when we moved in and had ours put into our locked box.

I've heard of that happening at other units as well (especially if residents had movement problems).

You could just wait and see if it does get delivered.good.gif

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Same here Tazz.

Daughter lived at No. 1 and got everybody's mail.

4 units.

Don't think postie will take it back to the PO

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I had similiar with a letter and item was returned a week later. After checking with buyer filled in the blanks and resent. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe the tenants have their names on their boxes?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Bizarre and strange they would react like that. Unfortunately with untracked, it's all just conversation anyway, none of that matters if you can't prove postage. I used to sell a lot of children's books way back and sent them untracked unless a bulk purchase. I was lucky, I never had any issues, but I'm assuming those books weren't a target for scammers. Anything of any value though, higher value comics for example, I sent registered post. My buyers were fantastic though, that was really for their security. But this buyer of yours, wow, there's one in every crowd they say! He needs to grow some manners plus correct his mailing address

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I sell about 600 books a year. Half of them go as large letters. I've had less than 10 INRs (on 5000 sales), so book buyers would seem to be honest.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

The postie would usually check the name against the other mail for those units to see whose it is. If there was no other mail they might hold on to it to wait till some comes in for that same name with a unit specified. Only a day or two though. Then it should go back to the post office as undeliverable but some will just stick it in unit 1s box even though they shouldn't.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

The buyer sounds like a jerk but I would ask him if he could please check with the other tenants just in case it was delivered by mistake. Whilst this may have never been a problem for the buyer in the past, there’s always a first time for everything!

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply