Buyer has changed their mind.....a week later

I recently sold a piece of coloured glass. The lady received it and left me positive feedback.

A week later I get a message telling me that I have mislead her with my description.

I sold the glass bowl as purple / amethyst glass. She believes it is cranberry in colour.

I put 8 photo's in the description. I also photographed it in different lights with different backgrounds.

I think this is crazy, I did not set out to mislead any one, it is purple glass, more to the point, the photos speak a thousand words.

I am not sure what is going to happen, does any one have any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

There's really only a couple of choices if you feel the item was described correctly - your listing states no returns are accepted, which you're well within your rights to uphold in change of mind situations, but you could accept a change of mind return if you wanted to, with original and return postage remaining the buyer's responsibility (i.e. they pay to return, and you refund the item price). 

It's difficult to say for sure if the buyer insisted on not as described, and what the result would be if the raised a return request - I know purple is one of the more difficult colours to photograph, and I also know that translucent dark purple glass seems to be a little difficult to make, as often they have a kind of red wine tone to them rather than look like a true purple, but are still described as amethyst purple, so just personally, whenever I see the words "amethyst" "purple" and "glass" in the same title, I do expect to see a bit of red. 😄  

Your images do look more reddish around the light bits, but then towards the centre it looks closer to a darker, amethyst purple. I know for certain that PayPal don't consider an item "significantly not as described" if colours are interpreted differently (the example they give on the site is "the item is aquamarine but was advertised as teal"), but I can't speak for eBay or whether or not this would count as "buyer's remorse" in their eyes.

Not much of that probably helps at this stage, though. 

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately I agree with your buyer.....the bowl looks like cranberry/pink with a blue base on my monitor.  There is nothing purple or amethyst about it.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

I'm seeing red/pink with a blue base on my monitor. That said, I know how very hard it is to photograph transparent purple things. I have a terrible time. They usually come out royal blue. Even if I put another colour next to it, it still comes out royal blue. I've got a whole heap of purple things here that I can't list because I can't get the colour resembling anything like purple.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I also think it's cranberry.

image host
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I've got a whole heap of purple things here that I can't list because I can't get the colour resembling anything like purple.

Awww Tippy, an'  I lubs purple tooooo.

That bowl looks cranberry/pink with a blue base on my huge HD TV I gotta say

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

What colour are these?

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

They look like a reddish purple to me Scrambler......far more purple toned than the OP's bowl.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Yes lyndal they are selling as amethyst purple which doesn't look like OPs bowl

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

@scrambler3333 wrote:

What colour are these?

I would call those port wine (maroon) in a listing title 😄 

If you do a search on eBay for amethyst glass or crystal beads, you get quite a range of results (anything from lilac to brown), but the one below is (believe it or not) one of the more common when "amethyst" is being used as a colour... (I personally don't think it even remotely resembles amethyst, or purple for that matter, but for some reason it keeps getting called that o_O ). 

that's no' how you make amethyst.....JPG 

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply