Buyer left negative because I would not post pickup only item

Listed an National DR49 radio receiver unit for pickup only.

I put in a request to cancel the sale thinking they made a mistake but they claim the listing says postage available.

They have not accepted the request - have not paid for the item but just left negative feedback.

Does anyone think the listing was deceptive ##322248620144

Ebay should remove the feedback right?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyer left negative because I would not post pickup only item

It clearly says Pick Up in your listing, but it doesn't say (strictly) Pick Up Only, so if I was buying I might think your wording doesn't rule out post/courier options, especially with the spiel at the bottom that others have pointed out. 

Yes the buyer should have contacted the seller first.......    but that aside, that item does look theoretically movable by courier.  Did you try working with the buyer to look at other options, or were you really just against the idea so just put in a cancellation?  I would have contacted the buyer first myself.  At least if the courier option was unfeasible the buyer would have been with you on that.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I also saw the problem a soon as I looked at the listing. You have all the shipping information plus the information that it is pick up and you assume that the buyer can read your mind and know which of the two options you mean to use.

If you started a cancellation request you may not now be able to change it to an unpaid item dispute.

The most sensible option in view of your confusing listing would have been to add the cost of fully trackable and signed for delivery to the invoice and then if they did pay you would be covered and if they didn't you could have treated it like any other transaction and opened an unpaid item dispute.

Try contacting ebay using the call back option and explain that the buyer has not paid but as it was you and not the buyer who tried to cancel you will probably not be successful.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

It clearly says Pick Up in your listing, but it doesn't say (strictly) Pick Up Only, so if I was buying I might think your wording doesn't rule out post/courier options, especially with the spiel at the bottom that others have pointed out. 

I agree that the postage info at the end may have caused confusion and that a compromise may have been reachable first, but the listing was actually set to local pick up only.

I know there's no additional words from the seller to that effect, in the title, drescription, etc, which can sometimes cause problems (well, to be honest, some people won't see that even if it's there in the largest, boldest font) but when you look at the postage info at the top, its says "Free local pick up - Posts to: local pick up only", then if you click on more details, it says "Will arrange for local pick-up only (no postage)." which is eBay's wording on PU-Only listings. Just on that basis, I think it's worth asking eBay to remove it (nothing to lose, at least).  

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

It's very interesting because I assume they never even asked about postage costs, did they.

One of the first things I look at in a listing is if postage is included or if not, how much it is. If you had quoted some high figure for postage, they wouldn't have been happy with that either.

But having shipping info in your listing was confusing and it could lead to mistakes in bidding.

It's not a deceptive ad as such, but for sure that sort of listing could be improved in future.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

I have revised all my pickup listings so there will be no confusion from now on.

I was pleasant with him initially but he emailed claiming I was trying to avoid paying fees on postage or some **bleep** and that he would leave me negative if I didn't post the item.

He lost me at that point.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

would'nt that be feedback extortion? reportable to ebay, if the buyer is threatening to leave a neg if you don't do something?

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

would'nt that be feedback extortion? reportable to ebay, if the buyer is threatening to leave a neg if you don't do something?

yeah I reported it to Ebay & provided the email link so we'll see what happens.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

I would think it would qualify as feedback extortion.

Your listing never offered any kind of postage as it was pickup.

And he was threatening to leave negative feedback if you did not post it.

Looks like he was demanding something not included in the listing under threat.

They should remove that negative.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply