Buyer received item. Item not working? (Australia)

treau68
Community Member

Hi everyone. 

I know there are tons of threads just like this one, but I couldn't find one for this particular situation which I will share and hopefully get some advice/opinions 🙂

About two weeks ago I sold a Portable/External Hard Drive to a buyer, well I should say they won it as it was an auction but anyway. I did not have the original box or receipt for the HDD but did mention this on my listing. I packaged the item very securly and safe. I wrapped bubble wrap around the hard drive and USB cable with lots of tape (the bubble wrap itself is a thicker one then usual for extra padding) and had the said items inside a safe padded parcel. Nothing could move and it could definitely take a hit or two and still be fine.

I also tested the hard drive on more than a couple devices to make sure it was 100% working which it indeed was. So I took it to Australia Post and away it went and they provided me with a tracking number.

So come to recently, the tracking number said the item arrived last Friday. But I get a message from the buyer the following Wednesday stating they have not yet received the item. So I aksed them to let me know which was their local Post Office as I'm more than happy to contact them to find out. I got no reply.

The following night, the package all of a sudden came so ok. Fair enough. But now the buyer claims the item is not working. There appears to be no physical damage to the hard drive, but the buyer claims it does not work. I have been back and forth with them messaging solutions and offering troubleshooting links which I have used in the pass. Whether or not they did this I don't know as all they replied back was "I want a refund as it's not working. I will send the item back to you AFTER you refund me."

So this is where I ask for your opinions/advice. What are my choices?

As I have said above, the item was 100% working. There does not seem to be any physical damage, the item was well secured and packaged very well. It was tracked through Australia Post. And now they want a refund before they return the item.

This particular buyer also has a few negative feedback with not being able to pay for items and also not returning items.

Any help is most appreciated guys 🙂

Many thanks!

- T

PS. Might be obvious but this isn't my main account. 
Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

do not refund first. you will never see the item again.

If they open a item not as described case through ebay you will have to supply a postage label to which they print out , stick on the parcel and send it back. once you have it back they will be refunded.

It would be best if you can get them to send it back without going through ebay's MBG

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

So what would be the best way for this? Would the seller have to click on "Return this item" on their Purchase History? Would that be the best way?

If so, who pays for postage?

I'm very suss about all this, but what can you do really 😞

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Tell the buyer to return the item for full refund and if it is faulty you will also refund the postage to send it to you.

This might make her think before she does so.  

If she does open a dispute it might be best to send her the prepaid postage label before ebay gets involved because there is anecdotal evidence on the boards that when ebay gets involved they just give the money back and the buyer keeps the item.

If you are going to be out of pocket you may as well get the item back and have a chance of reselling it.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

If it is a her that is ha 🙂

Thanks for the reply.

So if the item is working when it is returned, would I refund them for the postage?

Here's another scenario. What if they do indeed return the item, and the item is actually working (without refunding as of yet). Suppose there's nothing I can do is there?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get all the facts before it potentially goes any further.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

If it is working when you get it back you can refuse to refund at all and send it back to them.  The downside of that is that you will almost certainly get a negative feedback.

You can also refund just the item cost and not the original postage if it is working....again an almost certain negative.

Third option if it is working.....just refund the original item cost and postage and keep the item to resell.  That may keep her happy enough to stop a neg, but really no guarantees.  If she is inclined to leave a neg then nothing will stop her if she really wants the full refund and return postage.

The important thing is for you to get the item back.   I don't know how much you got for it but I am guessing it would be more than the postage cost so it would make sense to resell.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

I'm a bit suss on returns like this, what if the buyer returns a dodgy HDD that they've bought yours to replace? 

Do you have a photo of the original HDD serial number?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Firstly advise the buyer it is eBay policy to return the item to the seller before receiving a refund. Explain that a shop won't refund you until you give the item back, same applies here.

if you receive the item back and it is working, tell them you will refund the purchase price only MINUS any eBay fees as the item is working.

Another option, tell the buyer (if they paid via Paypal) to lodge a dispute via Paypal (better for you if they do it this way rather than eBays MBG) and to use Paypal's postage refund option. They need to opt in to it first I think before opening the dispute, and before posting the item back take a photo of the postage receipt and the parcel with the name and address on it that will come up during the dispute as Paypal will request BOTH.

hope this helps somewhat!

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

Firstly advise the buyer it is eBay policy to return the item to the seller before receiving a refund.

Wrong, totally wrong.

if you receive the item back and it is working, tell them you will refund the purchase price only MINUS any eBay fees as the item is working.

After the MBG process ?     Good luck on that one.....................

Another option, tell the buyer (if they paid via Paypal) to lodge a dispute via Paypal (better for you if they do it this way rather than eBays MBG) and to use Paypal's postage refund option. They need to opt in to it first I think before opening the dispute, and before posting the item back take a photo of the postage receipt and the parcel with the name and address on it that will come up during the dispute as Paypal will request BOTH.

I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about designers*n* more..............

hope this helps somewhat!

OP, a grain of salt needed on this advice...............................................................

Padi.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Padi you bring up a very important point about getting the same item back.

I don't sell electronics so I wouldn't have thought about that. I guess that is a lesson for all to make sure you have copies of the serial numbers.

Good luck treau68 I hope you get it sorted without to much hassle

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply