Buyer receives item, and eBay still gives the buyer their money back...

A buyer recently purchased an item. After not receiving the item for a week, they lodged an eBay disputed.
A day later, the buyer received the item. The buyer left feedback to state that they received the item. They did not close the disputed though. I asked eBay to close the dispute. They decided to rule in the buyers favour. Why? Because the buyer has not sent an email to me directly to state that they have received the item. They won't use the feedback as proof of receiving the item....
Has eBay gone mad?
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

saarzi
Community Member

In Australia, the legal system is set up (like most western countries) that all aspects of a case are taken into consideration. This is an obvious one. Who cares if Ebays policy is not to look at feedback - thats their problem and it doesnt mean youre not entitled to get your money back.  All you need is proof they recieved the item, and a statement from the buyer is proof regardless of where it was written (as long as you can prove it was them, and its digital AND within Ebays sytem, so you can).  To say the buyer needs to send an email statement directly to you is just ridiculous.

Id call EBay, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Ignore their rhetoic about policy - policy is just a written statement of how a business likes to do things. It doesnt really mean much.

Ask the name of every person you speak to, write it down, along with date, time and call receipt.

Tell them you have a statement from the buyer indicating they received their item and they are happy in feedback, and demand your money back. If they refuse, say you will report them to the ACCC, and Paypal to the FO (like a bank, when someone takes moey from your credit card, Paypal is the financial institution involved).

If they dont give the money back the same day, report them to the ACCC, and Paypal to the FO. Its a quick online form on their websites. They will look after it all for you.

If you dont want to call them, just report them and let the FO look after it.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks. All this information was reiterated to me but their supervisor.
I have sent the buyer an email to confirm but they have not responded, and they don't have a phone number listed.
I'll contactFO re PayPal and ACCC tomorrow. Many thanks for your response.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Here is another development

The buyer has stated via a message to state that they have received the message.

Ebay has now stated that it is up to me to chase up the money with the buyer. They have washed their hands of the case....

They said they are not obligated to do anything. so much for seller protection....

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I would be asking the buyer to repay.

If they are reluctant, I would pursue eBay through the ACCC and/or FOS (as eBay authorised the refund, the FOS might have some jurisdiction).

It is eBay's fault. They won't chase money from the buyer, even though they should, but they CAN and should reimburse you from their own money as they are the ones who stuffed up.

For the future - as a seller NEVER get eBay to step in to a case. They will time out eventually.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay, like Paypal, will not take feedback on its own as proof of delivery, all the buyer has to say is that they left it for the wrong seller. If it is coupled with a minimum amount of proof of delivery, not enough on its own then they may let it tip the balance in the seller's favour.

It is the buyer who is being dihonest and the buyer you should go after. Write to them saying that unless they remake payment for the goods or return them you will have no option but to report them to the police for obtaining money by deception. It is a bit of a damp squid if you have no proof of posting but the buyer may not realise that.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

"The buyer has stated via a message to state that they have received the message"

Did you mean the buyer emailed to say they received the item. Did the item have any tracking? I would contact Paypal if that is how the refund was processed. And include a copy of the buyers email stating they received the item. Worth a try.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

that is terrible. I am so having second thoughts of restarting to sell on Ebay. Sounds like they dont give a damn.
Did the buyer pay through Paypal? I am a little confused as to why Ebay would be taking your money. Been awhile since I sold anything on Ebay but beginning to think I should not even bother, what with Paypal holding your money for 21 days, Ebay refunding buyers then telling sellers go go get it back themselves, does not make me want to become a seller again
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply