Buyer requested refund, starts request, sent Item back anyway, ignored the request process.

Hi guys,

This is a wierd case and a first for me. Sold a Game console recently, buyer recieved the Item and left positive feedback.

A Day later he messages me saying the battery isnt working anymore, while the ac adapter is fine, I said I would cover half the cost of a new battery and he was ok with that and said he would get a replacement.

The Day after he says that the battery didnt work and there is a whole new problem with the console, its blacks out and isnt operating properly. I said that it might of been damaged in shipping (I tested it for 1-2 weeks before listing it on ebay incase it wasnt functioning anymore) so he would have to go through the Post Office (Australia Post) to get the insurcance on the Parcel (I usually opt for insurance since I offer free postage anyway, it prevents situations where I am liable).

He refused to take it up with Australia Post, since he didnt want to go to the trouble and he felt they wearnt liable. Unsure of what to do next I contacted ebay, they informed me to get him to open a return request and let it escalate so they can investigate it (since it seemed abit fishy to them). I asked him to do so and continued the process as normal.

I asked him to take a picture of the battery and record a video of the console in action so I could get a better Idea of what was going on, while suppling ebay with some evidence.

For some reason he wasnt messaging me in the return request, he kept private messaging me even though I asked him multiple times to respond in the request. He sent me a low quality low res picture of the replacement battery and told me that ebay wasnt letting him upload the video, I asked him to try again, and he responded saying it still didnt work.

I contacted Australia Post to see if I was able to get the insurance filed from my end, they asked me to try to get the buyer to file the claim again, if not they would need to escalate the issue and see if an exception could be made.

Before I could send the message to my buyer, he informed me that he sent the console back to me, bypassing the whole return process.

I do believe in sticking with the customer and making sure that they are happy with the solution, but he kept on stonewalling every attempt to solve the issue, and by sending it back he might have cost me a much loved console, while ebay have informed me that I should wait for the item and see the condition and contact them, it seems they are just going to refund the buyer now since he sent the item back, and found a loophole in the system. What should I do?

PS I should also mention that there is probably a 40% chance that he either changed his mind and/or damaged the console intentionally to get a refund, or has replaced the console with a broken one (Ive seen that this is a common problem on ebay), especially given his additude towards getting the insurance filed and providing any photos or videos of the console.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Buyer requested refund, starts request, sent Item back anyway, ignored the request process.

Sorry to hear about that. The only thing I can think of right now (and not much help in this instance) is that you get a UV/blacklight marker and light (can get on eBay, not expensive), and place a small mark on the console before you resell it. If you do. Then you can prove whether or not it's the same one. That goes for any solid item like this.  Another thing is to keep a record (pic if possible) of any serial numbers, barcodes etc. that an item has.

If the buyer has returned it with tracking keep a watch on it and make sure you get it. Sometimes missed deliveries don't get carded. You don't want it bouncing back to the buyer as unclaimed.

Since the buyer claims to have sent it back, then yes, eBay is likely to refund. If you don't get it follow it up strenuously with eBay to get the money back. Because then the buyer has to show they did return it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I have taken note of the consoles serial number before I sent it (the serial number is both on the outside and on the motherboard). It seems wierd that a buyer can bypass the system like this, but what If I let the case escalate? would it be dismissed because he sent it back back even without me accepting it?

Have people done this before?

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I don't know. I know that in a Paypal case sending an item back, with proof, can be added to a case later. Also in a credit card chargeback (at least, that's worked out for me).  Hopefully someone that has experienced the eBay returns system as a seller will be able to answer that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@infernal-messiah wrote:

I have taken note of the consoles serial number before I sent it (the serial number is both on the outside and on the motherboard). It seems wierd that a buyer can bypass the system like this, but what If I let the case escalate? would it be dismissed because he sent it back back even without me accepting it?

Have people done this before?

Has the buyer provided a tracking number? To you or (more importantly) to eBay? 

Unfortunately, eBay gave you the worst advice possible when they advised you to tell the buyer to open a return - they rarely investigate anything at all, even when they say on the phone, or via email, that they will, as the system is mostly automated (with heavy bias towards the buyers).

There are (potentially) two stages to the request system - the first is where the buyer/seller can (hopefully) work things out, but if not, it gets escalated (the buyer or seller has to escalate), and eBay steps in and "helps". In a case like this, they will only look for valid tracking information from the buyer when they make their decision, and eBay have formally confirmed that they do not investigate seller reports that a buyer has returned something other than what was originally sent (or intentionally damaged, incomplete etc).

For that reason, you can't rely on eBay to assis you if the buyer has uploaded valid tracking information - I recommend that if/when you receive the package, do not open it without having formal witnesses (police are best, because you can also make a report then and there if the contents aren't what they're supposed to be). The sooner after receiving the package, the better.

Contact eBay with the police report number,  if you do in fact have to make a report - it may not help win the case, but you can use it to appeal the decision, and if that fails, you can pursue the buyer with some of the most credible evidence you can get.

(PS - if neither party escalate the request to get eBay to "help", it should time out after around 30 days or so). 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

The instant the buyer escalates the case, eBay will automatically close the case and refund the buyer. It doesn't matter what you do, what evidence you have, it is instant when the dispute is escalated.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Digi, thanks for confirming the buyer has to have proof they sent a return. Pretty harsh on the seller that in essence, they don't have to prove what they sent!

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Whatever you do, do not ask eBay to step in and help. They will not investigate thoroughly as they state, but will close the dispute in favour of the buyer. Seen this happen too many times, me included and the buyer got to keep the item!

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

At least here the buyer says they have already sent back the console. Not just the battery, the item.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

We can only hope for the OP that they did actually send it back and not just send an empty box, or not send it at all. I do agree with whoever said it, if it does turn up, open the box in front of a reliable witness.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply