Buyer unhappy with colour, even though there were photos and sent email trying to be specific. Help

I listed a bag that to me looked white, and put up photos. A buyer asked me more specifically how white. This was my answer

“The bag could do with a leather clean all over, although it is not a bright white leather, but more an off white leather. No obvious scratches that I can see. Size 350mm wide by 300mm deep. Weight 500grams. Thanks.

The bag is a creamy white - but more grey than yellow. That is the best way I can describe it. Hope that helps.” 

This is is their reply on receiving the bag:

Goodness morning. I am writing to let you know the CR bag arrived yesterday. I have to say that your listing description as "white" in no way represents the true colour. No one would consider it white or even off white, or even grey white as you clarified to me, it is definitely more accurately described as stone or dark Ivory, neither of which are suitable for my wardrobe, and I feel I have been misled in my purchase. regards
Cristina

What can I do? I tried to be specific I think. Help.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer unhappy with colour, even though there were photos and sent email trying to be specific. H

@hjcircus wrote:

I listed a bag that to me looked white, and put up photos. A buyer asked me more specifically how white. This was my answer

“The bag could do with a leather clean all over, although it is not a bright white leather, but more an off white leather. No obvious scratches that I can see. Size 350mm wide by 300mm deep. Weight 500grams. Thanks.

The bag is a creamy white - but more grey than yellow. That is the best way I can describe it. Hope that helps.” 

This is is their reply on receiving the bag:

Goodness morning. I am writing to let you know the CR bag arrived yesterday. I have to say that your listing description as "white" in no way represents the true colour. No one would consider it white or even off white, or even grey white as you clarified to me, it is definitely more accurately described as stone or dark Ivory, neither of which are suitable for my wardrobe, and I feel I have been misled in my purchase. regards
Cristina

What can I do? I tried to be specific I think. Help.

Hi hjcircus,

For a number of years I worked shooting product photography for several large department stores - shoes, garments, handbags, towels, linens, and other accessories were a weekly thing for me - so I got good a gauging the different tones from white to black.  I found the listing for the handbag you sold, downloaded the photos and opened them up in my editing software for a proper look.  In my opinion, the description you've given your customer is accurate - it's not dark enough to be considered stone or dark ivory - the only stones here are those in your buyer's head.  It's definitely closer to a white than a grey, so I don't think you have done anything wrong here.

I think your customer is just being a PITA - perhaps they've changed their mind, or as others have suggested they bought it for an occasion and now want to return it.  

I'd be tempted to dig my heels in on this one - not even because I think you're right, but because it's such a petty difference and such an anally-retentive argument for her to make.  If it's such a critical difference to the success or her wardrobe, she should be shopping for items in person, taking along samples of her garments in order to match them.

How you respond is up to you.  Check the feedback she's left for others and see how many neutrals and negatives she's left for others, and read the comments as well - you might be able to gauge the severity of her reaction if you don't offer a return.  Some people just like to whinge.  She hasn't asked for a return, so I wouldn't offer one.  I'd write a polite reply thanking her for her message, but standing by your descrption of the colour.  Maybe she'll leave a neg, but you can ask eBay to remove it if you haven't done so before.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

Re: Buyer unhappy with colour, even though there were photos and sent email trying to be specific. H

Thank You Kopes! The lady on the oboe is just magic! Saved to faves with much Thanks!

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

In my experience, Anyone who asks such overly specific & detailed questions would be blocked by me straight away. 90% of the time they will be trouble if they bought the item. Not worth the hassle.
Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

@melbourne-motor-books wrote:
In my experience, Anyone who asks such overly specific & detailed questions would be blocked by me straight away. 90% of the time they will be trouble if they bought the item. Not worth the hassle.

I suppose if you feel worried about a particular message then blocking might be the way to go, but I think a lot of buyers who ask for clarification about a colour might just be looking for a heads up, not out to make trouble.

What brought this to mind is that the question here was how white was the bag.

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago. I was making place cards and wanted to attach a  little pearl on each (well, not real pearls, stick on pearl like decorations)  and asked one seller if they were stark white or more an off white.

Then in the meantime, decided that for about $5 for 500, it didn't matter if i made a mistake I could always buy others so messaged her not to worry, I had bought anyway and not a huge deal if the colour wasn't right etc

She replied back that they were more a softer white and actually they were perfect, I am glad she didn't block me or cancel the sale out of fear.

The difference here is even if she had replied they were soft white, not stark white, and even if they had been starker than I thought, I would not expect a seller to do anything.

With clothing or bags, it can be hard sometimes to tell exactly what shade something is so I see no harm in clarification but agree with someone else who said if the exact shade is critical, then don't buy on ebay.

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply