Buyer wants a refund after using item for 3 weeks

rickgrzyb
Community Member

A buyer brought a USB microphone off me and after using it for 3 weeks has broken the USB cable in the microphone and wants a refund, whats the deal? is he entitled to a refund?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@rickgrzyb wrote:

after using it for 3 weeks has broken the USB cable in the microphone 

Did the buyer indicate via message that this is what happened or did you peek thru their window and see them in action.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

1) Is he asking for a refund, or has he opened a case?

2) He needs to provide clear pictures of the item and the damage.

3) The item was already in used condition, so I'm not sure how this one will play out. 

The buyer also has certain time limits in which they can open a case. The item sold on the 29th of September. What date was it delivered to them?

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Delivered

12 Oct

he opened a return request, he included photos of the plug being broken,he said
"Just got back home from a family members, and jumped on discord to try out the product I brought from you. Sadly the cable port seems to be broken. Inside the cable that links to the computer the inside of the cable link has broken off as can be seen in the photos. The mic is not fixable or usable. I would like to return this item thank you "

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Accept the return & provide a label

Refund when the item is returned.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

3) The item was already in used condition, so I'm not sure how this one will play out. 

The buyer also has certain time limits in which they can open a case.

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

The buyer also has certain time limits in which they can open a case. The item sold on the 29th of September. What date was it delivered to them?

---------------------

If an item is sold as used, I'd be interested in knowing how it played out too, as I can understand it had to arrive in as advertised condition but I am not sure about after that. You never know with ebay though, they could find in buyer's favour.

I mainly answered though as I am curious about the highlighted bit. In another thread I asked when the 30 day ebay claim limit applied, was it from date of purtchase or from ETA and I was told by a few people if I recall rightly, that it applied from date of purchase.

So if the item sold on 29th Sept, wouldn't the window for an ebay claim  be closed?

I don't know the answer as I don't sell, I am just curious.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

If the item is broken, why bother paying for a return?

Unless it is worth repairing on your side?

Just refund him and minimise your loss.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

The big question is, was it broken upon arrival, or did the buyer break it after using it? If the buyer broke it, why should the seller refund? If it was broken on arrival, then the buyer should have notified the seller immediately, not wait 3 weeks. 

I wouldn't be refunding.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

There's no way to prove buyer damage and the buyer certainly is not going to admit to anything. The seller will lose the case if they do not refund or accept a return.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I mainly answered though as I am curious about the highlighted bit. In another thread I asked when the 30 day ebay claim limit applied, was it from date of purtchase or from ETA and I was told by a few people if I recall rightly, that it applied from date of purchase.

So if the item sold on 29th Sept, wouldn't the window for an ebay claim  be closed?

I don't know the answer as I don't sell, I am just curious.

It is 30 days from either the date of receipt, or the last ETA in the listing if the day of delivery is not known. 

Disputes can still be opened after that time, but if the buyer is no longer eligible for protection due to being past that 30-day timeframe, the seller can contact CS and get it closed in their favour straight away. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply