Buyer wants refund - 'item not as described'

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem with a recent buyer and thought I'd come on the boards for some advice.

This buyer purchased an authentic branded belt from me after many negotiations of prices, and saying that she seems to have seen some marks (which I cleaned and showed her afterwards), she eventually agreed and purchased the item.

When she received the item however, she sent a message which had some very random accusations:

1. I sold a skinny belt - she claimed that the 'skinny' was not mentioned nor described - but it was clearly shown in both the title and the description. She also got back to my response in  a later message claiming that I deceived people of the way I had photographed my images, and that I made the belt look thicker than it is from the way I have placed it on a box when taking my photos.

I had kindly asked her as to why she hadn't asked all questions before she made the decision to purchase - seeing she had gone out of her way to bargain for an item that is barely worn and was already listed at a very valuable price for the condition it was in.

2. She claimed the belt was not in a near-new condition (as I have described) because apparently the leather of the belt is so soggy already and the area around the holes are bent - this is definitely not true. I asked her to provide photos, and she claimed that she also found scratches on the leather and so on.

HOWEVER, when looking at the photos she sent, it matched her claims as I can see from the pictures, but the key point is - it definitely isn't in the same condition when I packaged and sent it. I had all members of my family check over the belt - it was fine.

Now she wants a partial refund or a full refund because - she thinks that it was not worth what she paid for - she claimed that she only spent around $400-$500 on a brand new one purchased at a boutique - which I doubt.

The nagging thought is - even if I had agreed to a refund and she had send back the belt - it would not be in its original condition and I'm afraid I can't even resell it again, as I can tell from the latest photos she sent. I'm very disappointed as to how this turned out, I had a bad feeling when she kept wanting to negotiate, but I'd thought since she had finally agreed and purchased the item, it has to be fine.

Any advice is extremely welcome, thank you for reading.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyer wants refund - 'item not as described'

Thank you so much for your advice!!

The item was delievered six days ago, I can't seem to look back on exactly what time it was delievered, but she sent the first message claiming it was not in the condition described at around 6pm. 

I could see from the photos she sent that it has the same number coding detail. As in regards to the areas she was talking about, I found it weird.

Prior to the purchase, she first messaged me saying that she could see some sort of scratches on the belt buckle, I checked and it appeared to be stains that were inevitable due to storage, I cleaned it and showed her afterwards, she then again claimed she couldn't see the photo well and that from her own experience, the stains were not easily to clean..blah.blah.blah.But it was cleaned and spotless and everything else was definitely fine until we sent it.

However, she is now indicating other areas of defects and mentioned nothing of the belt buckle, so the only photos I have are the ones from the listing, which unfortunately does not have clear close-ups of the buckle-holes, as they were perfectly fine all this time. I do think the other photos were enough to show there were no scratches on the leather edges (as she had also claimed) And follow-up photos only included the ones of the cleaned buckle - which she never brought up again.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you!

I was actually so confused with the point she made about me 'deceiving' people with the image I took. Because with my previous transactions, I've almost always had the buyer asking me about extra details and doing numerous confirmations with branded items. Yet she focused on another detail (which she now never brought up again), and had came back to claim something which she never touched on. In my opinion, if she were so worried that the style of belt does not match up to the belt she owned, than wouldn't it be wise to go over it in our conversation?

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Yes, I've thought about it. From the recent photos she sent, I could see the same number code details on the belt, but I'll definitely check over that should she opens a case.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you!! I don't think I'll consider the partial refund at all because from what I see in her ways of bargaining, it would not end up well. I'm just worried and saddened about is the fact that the belt would most likely not be in the same condition anymore, from the photos she sent.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I have already made a reply! 

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Best of luck

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Just a few things that struck me.

Did you have any measurements in your listing? If so, then she shouldn't (if ebay is logical) have a leg to stand on in an item not as described. If you had the word skinny in the title and listing, she should also not be able to claim she didn't know it would be skinny.

People like this-ones who try to bargain you down etc and complain before they have even bought the item-that should be a red flag to you. Either advertise with a set starting price or have a best offer with an auto rejection amount in place and stick to it. Less trouble.

Go with what some of the others have said.Personally I would not like to be offering partial refunds. If she opens a case and you feel you have to do something, you could insist on a return and refund of the full amount, although I know this may leave you out of pocket. But it will stop her being able to keep a valuable item or get a further discount, which basically is what she is after, you know.

Although... I suppose it depends on exactly how much of a partial refund she is after.

If you would prefer to go down this path, at least be upfront and say that the belt does not appear to be in the same condition it was sent and so you are only prepared to offer x amount (not a huge amount) as partial refund, otherwise you will give a full refund on receiving the returned item, as long as it really is in its original condition.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Could you please 'Follow' her so that we can add her to our lists? Many thanks

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

A lot depends on whether the buyer actually wants the item

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Your final bullet in the chamber,, if she opens a dispute,  is to send her a message direct saying that you are going to report her to the police via ACORN for on line fraud as it is obvious from the photos they sent that the belt has been deliberately damaged. Say you will give her 24 hours to withdraw the claim before taking this action.

If they are just a chancer then it may very well prompt them to comply.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 22
Latest reply