Making Terms of sale (esp. Postage cost) explicit

I think sellers' worst critics are probably other sellers !

This is not a complaint, but rather an observation, based on my own experience as a buyer last night.

I purchased two art prints (unframed) and although the seller combined postage for the 2 purchases, the combined rate still seemed to me too high, even after adding the additional cost of registration.

I queried the amount and the seller immediately went on the defensive, citing the time it takes to wrap items, the cost of wrapping materials, driving to the PO and waiting in line at the PO and that all things considered she thought the additional few dollars she charges is reasonable. She even mentioned the percentage amount that ebay charges in FVFs and postage commission.

Apart from openly claiming to offset ebay charges by charging more for P & H, I didn't have an issue with all the other reasons she gave for the additional postage costs.

What I did have an issue with is not making the reasons for the extra charge EXPLICIT in the listing so that prospective bidders and buyers know before committing to buy exactly what they are paying for.

My sales lisings all contain a few lines in the 'Postage' section which are a break down of my postage charges. I think by doing this, buyers can have no complaint or issue with what a seller charges because they know ahead of time exactly what they are paying for.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Hi betty,

I undertsand what you are saying and in some cases it would be handy to see a break down of postage.

However, I look at the postage cost and add it to the item. If the overall price is good I buy.

I'm not concerned of how the seller has derived at their postage cost if it's reasonable.

I assume in your purchase you could see the postage cost and times that by 2 for both items.

Then if the seller offers combined postage which is for convenience but doesn't necessarily mean discounted.

If then you also got a discount, I would think it a bonus.

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Disagree, sellers shouldn't need to break everything down,. Price to ship one item is X and price to ship multiples is Y. You then decide if you are happy to pay that. Depending on what you are selling combining is often more involved than individual transactions.

Ebays policy about not including ebay fees into costs is just their way of avoiding any perceived responsibilty.

Nobody calculates their cost components down to a micro level, so ts all just nominal anyway.

Cost of taking one parcel to PO verses 10 at the same time, even if you could work that out then adding it into shipping quote before selling the items..Impossible.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Combined shipping discounts are as much about encouraging extra sales as it is about passing on any actual savings for seller

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

I've often thought the same thing, some of the most difficult buyers I've had were other sellers, which I found a little baffling until I realised every time, my first thought was "I would never do that to another seller". I think that 's actually part of the problem. When you're dealing with a seller, they have a set way of doing things and they often seem to become expectations of other sellers as well (as in, "my way is the right way", and if another sellers does it differently, somehow that's the 'wrong' way).

Personally, I agree with lane-ends, I don't expect sellers to justify their postage costs to me, and I don't expect to have to justify my postage costs to others, in fact I once had someone message me to ask why my $3 postage was "so high" and my immediate reaction was to consider blocking them (I didn't, but it was my first thought). 

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

Nice in theory to have a simple price set up, but not so easy in practice. Taking your own postage you state
"Postage and Handling will be $7.80 REGISTERED POSTAGE within Australia.
($3.00 'large document' rate + $3.80 registered post + $1.00 handling.)"

As you assume if you buy multiples you get a discount what would you charge me for postage if i buy 2 items one is 280gms and the other 240gms

Auspost charges letter if 280gms <1cm thick $5, if 240gms <1cm thick $3)

I buy both, would you charge me

1. As 2 letters $3 + $3 = $6 + $7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $15.60 (actual postage $17.60)
1. As 2 letters $5 + $3 = $8 + 7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $17.60
or since you can't send combined as a small parcel as over over 500gms
2. Send as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $1 (handling) = $17.75
or
3. Because there are 2 items
Charge as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $18.75

Oh, and please can I have a discount as I am buying 2 things.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Generally we can send most of our shirts in a TB2 tough bag as a large letter, however when a buyer makes a multiple order, we then need to send in a satchel which generally costs us a little more.  We treat each multiple sale depending on total weight & volume & refund part postage when we can or quote postage when asked when we know what the order is.  For 2 items it usually costs us more than sending seperately, however we wear the difference & can only part refund postage on 3 items or more.

Btw a large letter needs to be 200mm (2cm) thick or less & be under 500gm

It is very difficult for us to quote multiple postage in a listing as there are too many variables.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

"It is very difficult for us to quote multiple postage in a listing as there are too many variables"

That is exactly my point, the OP wants explicit postage details but that is just not always possible.  The number of variables is just too great.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

It is sometimes hard for sellers to not go on the defensive. I felt like it once when I posted a small flat box that cost $1.50, postage was then $1.20 Now $2) and registering cost then was $2.95 and when it arrived got an angry question why I charged $6 which was clearly in the listing yet postage was only ''$1.20''. They clearly did not know what the big orange sticker was for, and I had to explain very clearly and nicely everything, and yes I mentioned I had added my time, my petrol, my bubble wrap in as all free on top, so maybe that was what your seller meant too. Sometimes emails come across as defensive, but are not really.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

My sales lisings all contain a few lines in the 'Postage' section which are a break down of my postage charges. I think by doing this, buyers can have no complaint or issue with what a seller charges because they know ahead of time exactly what they are paying for.

This is off topic to the OP title but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to a buyer or a seller in registering a 500gm parcel as the parcel rate of $7.60 already includes tracking?
Refer item# 152372759013 - "Postage & Handling will be $11.55 REGISTERED POSTAGE within Australia. ($7.60 regular parcel up to 500gms + $2.95 registered post + $1.00 handling."
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply