Making Terms of sale (esp. Postage cost) explicit

I think sellers' worst critics are probably other sellers !

This is not a complaint, but rather an observation, based on my own experience as a buyer last night.

I purchased two art prints (unframed) and although the seller combined postage for the 2 purchases, the combined rate still seemed to me too high, even after adding the additional cost of registration.

I queried the amount and the seller immediately went on the defensive, citing the time it takes to wrap items, the cost of wrapping materials, driving to the PO and waiting in line at the PO and that all things considered she thought the additional few dollars she charges is reasonable. She even mentioned the percentage amount that ebay charges in FVFs and postage commission.

Apart from openly claiming to offset ebay charges by charging more for P & H, I didn't have an issue with all the other reasons she gave for the additional postage costs.

What I did have an issue with is not making the reasons for the extra charge EXPLICIT in the listing so that prospective bidders and buyers know before committing to buy exactly what they are paying for.

My sales lisings all contain a few lines in the 'Postage' section which are a break down of my postage charges. I think by doing this, buyers can have no complaint or issue with what a seller charges because they know ahead of time exactly what they are paying for.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Registered Post only applies to letters now.

Parcels are Signature on Delivery.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

You haven't been able to register parcels for years, so that's a bit of false advertising and maybe a bit of a money grab. All parcels come with tracking. They have done since they removed the option to register.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

Nice in theory to have a simple price set up, but not so easy in practice. Taking your own postage you state
"Postage and Handling will be $7.80 REGISTERED POSTAGE within Australia.
($3.00 'large document' rate + $3.80 registered post + $1.00 handling.)"

As you assume if you buy multiples you get a discount what would you charge me for postage if i buy 2 items one is 280gms and the other 240gms

Auspost charges letter if 280gms <1cm thick $5, if 240gms <1cm thick $3)

I buy both, would you charge me

1. As 2 letters $3 + $3 = $6 + $7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $15.60 (actual postage $17.60)
1. As 2 letters $5 + $3 = $8 + 7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $17.60
or since you can't send combined as a small parcel as over over 500gms
2. Send as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $1 (handling) = $17.75
or
3. Because there are 2 items
Charge as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $18.75

Oh, and please can I have a discount as I am buying 2 things.

I would use a b1 box - $7.40 postage + $1.75 for the box + $25c for handling = $9.40. No need for registration as ALL parcels are tracked, nor SOD if the items aren't worth it (which is what the $2.95 covers, not registered). And if the items were worth it I would insure them.

And I certainly wouldn't use a prepaid satchel when an eBay one is significantly cheaper ($12.26)

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@gec2002 wrote:

Nice in theory to have a simple price set up, but not so easy in practice. Taking your own postage you state
"Postage and Handling will be $7.80 REGISTERED POSTAGE within Australia.
($3.00 'large document' rate + $3.80 registered post + $1.00 handling.)"

As you assume if you buy multiples you get a discount what would you charge me for postage if i buy 2 items one is 280gms and the other 240gms

Auspost charges letter if 280gms <1cm thick $5, if 240gms <1cm thick $3)

I buy both, would you charge me

1. As 2 letters $3 + $3 = $6 + $7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $15.60 (actual postage $17.60)
1. As 2 letters $5 + $3 = $8 + 7.60 (2x $3.80 Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $17.60
or since you can't send combined as a small parcel as over over 500gms
2. Send as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $1 (handling) = $17.75
or
3. Because there are 2 items
Charge as 3kg prepaid $13.80 + $2.95 (Reg) + $2 (2 x $1 handling) = $18.75

Oh, and please can I have a discount as I am buying 2 things.

I would use a b1 box - $7.40 postage + $1.75 for the box + $25c for handling = $9.40. No need for registration as ALL parcels are tracked, nor SOD if the items aren't worth it (which is what the $2.95 covers, not registered). And if the items were worth it I would insure them.

And I certainly wouldn't use a prepaid satchel when an eBay one is significantly cheaper ($12.26)

All very nice but how would you Explicitly write it up in your description so that buyer knows: What, How and Why they are paying for postage.  As per the title "Making Terms of sale (esp. Postage cost) explicit", not how you would do it.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

@samjess54 wrote:

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

I think sellers' worst critics are probably other sellers !

My sales lisings all contain a few lines in the 'Postage' section which are a break down of my postage charges. I think by doing this, buyers can have no complaint or issue with what a seller charges because they know ahead of time exactly what they are paying for.

This is off topic to the OP title but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to a buyer or a seller in registering a 500gm parcel as the parcel rate of $7.60 already includes tracking?
Refer item# 152372759013 - "Postage & Handling will be $11.55 REGISTERED POSTAGE within Australia. ($7.60 regular parcel up to 500gms + $2.95 registered post + $1.00 handling."

Parcels do include tracking, but it's not equivalent to registered (registered for letters means tracking, signature on delivery and $100 insurance). 

I will add SOD (at $2.95) to a parcel above a certain value when I don't want it to be safe-dropped if the buyer isn't home, and I'll add insurance if the cost to replace, or loss, would hurt too much if AP damage or lose it.

So, to have on parcels what registered provides on letters, the additional cost would be $2.95 plus $1.50 per $100 insurance, or a minimum of $4.45 extra (for most, as I actually only pay $1 per $100 insurance on parcels). Sometimes I will add insurance without adding SOD, eg if the parcel is going to a PO box address. 

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Wrong !

Its true that what you purchase for parcels is not CALLED registration. It is called Signature on Delivery.

Other than the name however, it provides the same important benefit, ie, delivery confirmation.

Since I added Signature on Delivery for parcels and Registration for letters, I've had none of those suspicious claims of 'item not received'.

Since a Signature in required to take delivery, no one can any longer fraudulently claim, they didn't get their item. Only the genuine cases.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@bettyboopsadaisy wrote:

Wrong !

Its true that what you purchase for parcels is not CALLED registration. It is called Signature on Delivery.

Other than the name however, it provides the same important benefit, ie, delivery confirmation.

Since I added Signature on Delivery for parcels and Registration for letters, I've had none of those suspicious claims of 'item not received'.

Since a Signature in required to take delivery, no one can any longer fraudulently claim, they didn't get their item. Only the genuine cases.

Anyone can sign for it, it doesn't have to be the recipient. The neighbours dog could sign for it. Doesn't mean the buyer has actually received it. I've only had 2 things not arrive out of thousands of items. They were both under $10 and untracked. Not worth registering. Another buyer claimed she didn't receive it, but it showed as being delivered.

Occasionally I'll use SOD if sending to a unit, but it depends on the cost of the item and where it's going to. If a buyer has bought lots of things, which add up to a reasonable amount, I'll insure it to cover myself. I have no reason to believe those 2 buyers didn't get their item. The cost of those 2 things was way less than registering every large letter item. I guess it depends on what you sell. The type of things I sell don't tend to attract scammers (antique and vintage collectables).

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Absolutely agree that sellers are the most critical of other sellers and their issues. I think because they are much more intimately involved and invested in the selling process than a buyer who perhaps doesn't sell themselves. They understand the work that goes into a listing and handling of stock and all the issues that arise to get the item to market, and have many different ideas and thoughts on how to sell. Then add in the ever moving and shifting goal posts that we have to deal with along the way, sellers become very focused when other sellers complain or raise an issue there is a "super charged" response. They also know that when dealing with a seller they usually have some knowledge under their belt so the responder doesn't have to use the KISS principle all the time compared to talking to a buyer who might not be experienced. 

Mostly though we do think that sellers that crique other sellers problems, complaints or ideas are genuine and are really trying to give their knowledge and experience an airing in the nicest possible way and just don't dress it up too much. We think it is always in the way that the query is approached, and try to give un-emotional responses as sometimes the buyer really doesn't know or understand and is trying to work out whether to buy or not. Of course if rude then we walk away and have a cup of coffe and bikkie to calm down.

As buyers we are not interested in how the seller got to his/her costing for post, if the overall price is OK, ie fair and resonable, we buy, if not we might talk but we don't think the seller should have to explain how they got to their costings. If the seller does want to change or work with the buyer then that is their choice, they have their way and we have ours, thank god for variety in life and a democratic country.

2cents 

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Buying Ebay satchels don't always suit everyone especially when multiple selling channels/platforms are used.  It is actually cheaper from Australia Post if you are in a position to purchase at their 10 pack rate (100 satchels) 500gm $7.44 each & 3kg $12.08 each & $12.12 each for a 1kg express post satchel.  Also you are not advertising that there is a product inside the satchel.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

It is pretty darned obvious that there is a product in a satchel whether it is an ebay one or an AP one.   You can hardly disguise the shape of either of them.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply