Buyer who lies

What can be done with a buyer who asks multiple questions about an item after he's won it, (which I replied to), and within a couple of days of winning the item opens a case withPaypal saying I didn't reply to his emails and he hasn't received the item he won?

I'm in Victoria and he's in WA. He won the auction Friday, I posted the item Tuesday morning, and he opened the case sometime on Tuesday.

Buyer stated he opened case to make sure he isn't scammed and will keep it open until he receives item and is happy with its condition.

Paypal has frozen his payment, I've phoned them twice and they are taking his side and tell me that until the item is delivered they'll hold it.

I do have tracking but I have a horrible feeling he'll next open an INAD case with ebay.

I've blocked buyer just in case but as I'm only a casual seller it won't affect him.

I won't be leaving him any feedback but that won't stop him leaving me whatever he likes.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer who lies

@digupatin wrote:

Buyer stated he opened case to make sure he isn't scammed and will keep it open until he receives item and is happy with its condition.

People who pull this stunt really irk me. Smiley Mad Even if it was just a case of being overly fearful of losing their money, there is no reason to open the case immediately upon postage of the item, and even less reason to lie about your response to their queries, so I would be as dubious as you are about their intentions. 

I'd actually be tempted to reply "In that case, I'm sure you'll understand that I'll take similar measures to protect myself, and report your activities to ACORN (but don't worry, I'll withdraw the report if it does turn out that you're not scamming me and I'm happy with the transaction)."  

Bah!

On a more serious note, they won't be able to open a case with eBay at all (buyers can go from eBay to PayPal, but they can't go from PayPal to eBay), so that's good, but a PP dispute can be changed from not received to not as described. I'm surprised PP said they'll hold the funds until delivery, though, because proof of postage is all you need for seller protection in INR cases, and that's what the buyer is claiming. I'm assuming the tracking number has been uploaded to the case, so in normal circumstances that should be all that is required to get a case closed in your favour and you may actually have success with PP if you push that point to them really hard, (I'm guessing perhaps someone noticed how quick the dispute was opened (a red flag if ever there was one) and decided to allow the case to remain open, giving the buyer the opportunity to update the case upon receipt rather than prevent that opportunity all together. Which, given the circumstances, would tick me off even more, TBH). 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Buyer who lies

Jeez, that sucks hopefully it works out.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I was under the impression that you couldn't open an INR until after the last delivery date.

Someone may correct me on that, though.

I can forsee problems - you used a stock photo for a used phone?

That's an ebay no-no, I'm afraid.

Buyers need to see exactly what they're buying, and you stated scratches in the listing.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

It is so easy now. When you start a listing, in my case a book -

Put title and author in the field, select 'fiction books'. You then get any catalogue items that relate to that title/author, then other titles by the author, then, if that hasn't filled up the 584 suggestions, nothing that is even remotely connected to what I am selling.

I then, now, automatically scroll down a couple of pages to get to the 'proceed without' (or similar) button in order to be able to list what I actually have for sale.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

@digupatin wrote:

People who pull this stunt really irk me. Smiley Mad Even if it was just a case of being overly fearful of losing their money, there is no reason to open the case immediately upon postage of the item, and even less reason to lie about your response to their queries, so I would be as dubious as you are about their intentions. 

I'd actually be tempted to reply "In that case, I'm sure you'll understand that I'll take similar measures to protect myself, and report your activities to ACORN (but don't worry, I'll withdraw the report if it does turn out that you're not scamming me and I'm happy with the transaction)."  

Bah!

On a more serious note, they won't be able to open a case with eBay at all (buyers can go from eBay to PayPal, but they can't go from PayPal to eBay), so that's good, but a PP dispute can be changed from not received to not as described. I'm surprised PP said they'll hold the funds until delivery, though, because proof of postage is all you need for seller protection in INR cases, and that's what the buyer is claiming. I'm assuming the tracking number has been uploaded to the case, so in normal circumstances that should be all that is required to get a case closed in your favour and you may actually have success with PP if you push that point to them really hard, (I'm guessing perhaps someone noticed how quick the dispute was opened (a red flag if ever there was one) and decided to allow the case to remain open, giving the buyer the opportunity to update the case upon receipt rather than prevent that opportunity all together. Which, given the circumstances, would tick me off even more, TBH). 

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

I like it.............lots. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

Protected species? 

Don't you just love ebay and paypal when they let such moronic itchy finger carp happen Woman Frustrated

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

I uploaded the tracking number as well as giving it to Paypal when I first phoned them but they still refused to close the case 😞

Tracking says the package is in Welshpool WA so it's getting there.

Good to know that they can't open a case with ebay, thanks for that information digital*ghost.

Hopefully if he decides to be an a***hole Paypal will just tell him to go away, but fingers crossed he won't change it to an INAD case.

Cheers

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

I'd say it's because it's too early after the sale otherwise all PayPal require is proof of postage not delivery.

(BTW nice to see you again digs)

image host
Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer who lies

Good to see you are still around kopes.

The nightmare continues 😞

Paypal requested proof of shipping today so I uploaded the copy of the receipt the Post Office gave me with the tracking number on it.

That's not enough for Paypal, they want proof of shipping - a mythical receipt the Post Office give you with the buyers name and address on it.

When I said they don't have anything like that to give me Paypal said I have to get one as evidence that I posted the item to the buyer.

I phoned the PO and they confirmed there's no such thing but they also confirmed that they tried to deliver the package to the buyer today but no one was home so they carded him.

I'd never sell full time if this is what sellers have to go through. The system stinks. I have to prove I'm innocent. LOL

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply