Buyer who lies

What can be done with a buyer who asks multiple questions about an item after he's won it, (which I replied to), and within a couple of days of winning the item opens a case withPaypal saying I didn't reply to his emails and he hasn't received the item he won?

I'm in Victoria and he's in WA. He won the auction Friday, I posted the item Tuesday morning, and he opened the case sometime on Tuesday.

Buyer stated he opened case to make sure he isn't scammed and will keep it open until he receives item and is happy with its condition.

Paypal has frozen his payment, I've phoned them twice and they are taking his side and tell me that until the item is delivered they'll hold it.

I do have tracking but I have a horrible feeling he'll next open an INAD case with ebay.

I've blocked buyer just in case but as I'm only a casual seller it won't affect him.

I won't be leaving him any feedback but that won't stop him leaving me whatever he likes.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Buyer who lies

I am with Digi on this one....try to recall the package before the buyer can pick it up.

In the event that they do get a refund and then pick it up you can report the buyer to ACORN....it is out and out fraud.

Message 21 of 40
Latest reply

If you have no luck with the fos you have other options at your deposal including filing a report/dispute with a fair trading body in your state (free service) and civil liabilitys tribunal (not free service, but they can make a final enforceable ruling)

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 22 of 40
Latest reply

Good suggestion digi.

I contacted AP and it's $27.50 for a recall. ๐Ÿ˜ž

AP suggested that I could just wait the 10 days from receipt of package at the PO and have noted on my enquiry record that possible fraud is involved. After 10 days I need to contact AP again just to make sure the item is being returned to me.

If the buyer signs for a pick-up AP will supply a copy of that to me which I can show to Paypal and also use as evidance of fraud to ACORN if required.

The promised call from Paypal has not happened, no surprise there.

I've decided to wait until the 10 days are up and see what happens.

Message 23 of 40
Latest reply

If it was carded on the 23rd you only have to wait till the end of the week.

Message 24 of 40
Latest reply

It's 10 working days according to PO, lyndal, so it'll be 6 June before they can return the package to me - if the buyer hasn't picked it up.

Message 25 of 40
Latest reply

I've just spoken to a Manager at Paypal who, after going around in circles for ages, confirmed that they will be refunding the buyers money.

So I'm crossing my fingers that the buyer doesn't get his money back then go to the PO and collect the package.

I'm waiting until the 10 working days are up in case the buyer doesn't collect the package, and the PO returns the package to me.

I'll also be checking daily and if he picks up the package in the mean time I'll be contacting the Ombudsman for advice.

It's a good scam.  

Message 26 of 40
Latest reply

That's disappointing to hear - definitely not worth doing the recall? I guess it's a bit of a double-edged sword, but I think ones a bit blunter than the other, JMHO.

By which I mean, there's a chance you have an overly skittish buyer who sought to protect themselves "just in case" like they said, and that they'll collect then close the case". There's also a chance that the package won't be collected so gets returned to sender (just so you know, that can involve return postage costs, the same price that was paid to send, but in some cases it's been higher). 

Judging from the buyer's behaviour, in particular the completely unnecessary lie about you ignoring their messages, I would suspect the sharpest edge (that is, the most likely scenario, even if by just a small percentage), is that they know exactly what they are doing. (Another reason i suspect that, is because you would not be the first seller to have experienced the exact same MO ๐Ÿ˜ž ). 

Message 27 of 40
Latest reply

i know it won't help with this time around digu - but you can probably prevent this from happening in future by photographing the item addressed to the sender, along with the tracking number visible in the photo. that's the only difference in the instances i've had that have been the same as yours - yet mine have had a positive result. 

they seem to take that as proof of the buyer's address (providing it matches their paypal address) and then the tracking info (ie delivery suburb SHOULD match that). 

i really hope you get a semi-win one way or another with getting your item back, or if not, having success with the ombudsman. 

Message 28 of 40
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

i know it won't help with this time around digu - but you can probably prevent this from happening in future by photographing the item addressed to the sender, along with the tracking number visible in the photo. that's the only difference in the instances i've had that have been the same as yours - yet mine have had a positive result. 

I wonder if the PO holding the package would be so kind as to oblige with a photo? Smiley Surprised Smiley Frustrated (the second smiley face is the best match for "it's probably a long shot"....could be worth a try, though). 

Message 29 of 40
Latest reply

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/customer-concerns

Above is the link to what paypal require for "proof" of postage, if you have this proof (im 100% shure you do) as another point that paypal are not complying with there own policys
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 30 of 40
Latest reply