Buyer wont pay shipping

I sold an item for $50 with pick up only, and the buyer has asked if I would ship.

It's another $50 to ship as it has to go interstate in a big box (record player)

They have already paid $50 for the item but dont want to pay the extra $50 for the shipping.

I want to relist the item as I need it gone, what's the best thing to do here?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Buyer wont pay shipping

Refund and cancel choosing 'buyer changed mind".

Then relist.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

as kopes says, then put em on ya blocked buyer list

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

You can inform the buyer that they have x number of days to pick up the item, as it was listed as pick-up only.

(I note that you stated in the listing "Could maybe post at buyers expense - $25 is only an estimate". That's something I would never ever list on a pick-up only item, because if you say "$25", a buyer is going to hold you to it even if the actual postage/courier cost is more than that. Best not to even mention postage cost/estimate in a listing that is pick-up only.)

If the wants an item that was listed with No postage: pick up only sent to them, it is their responsibility to organise and pay for that. Unless they pick up the item, they are not covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee. Quoting:

eBay-PolicyCircle.gifWhat’s covered

Most transactions on eBay.com.au are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Not covered

• Buyer’s remorse
  • Any reason besides not receiving the item or receiving an item not as described in the listing (see the seller’s return policy for return options)
  • Items damaged during local pick-up
  • Items not delivered when the buyer arranges pick-up or delivery of the item (for instance, the buyer arranges freight)
  • Duplicate claims through other resolution methods
  • Click & Collect items that weren’t collected by the buyer
  • Local pickup items that weren’t collected by the buyer
  • Items sent to another address after original delivery
  • Vehicles, Real Estate, Websites & Business for Sale, Classified Ads and services, Tickets
  • Digital Goods and Intangibles, with the exception of digital gift cards

Also note that if the buyer does pick up the item (or arrange collection), then if they claim that it's not as described, eBay will not refund any postage or pickup cost (although the buyer would be refunded the item cost).

When the buyer arranges delivery or picks up the item, we may not refund the cost of original postage or pickup.

Refer also to eBay's Buying with local pickup page. There is also the Offering local pickup page (for sellers).

I am not sure whether you can refund the buyer and then send an amended invoice which contains the most thorough and secure courier cost (expense be damned) as the postage amount. That might be the most satisfactory way to go about it, particularly in light of the buyer expecting you to bear his/her postage cost!

However, probably the easiest way to go about handling this is to refund the buyer (I'm not sure if you can refund less the PayPal transaction fee), and cancel with the reason that there was a problem with the buyer's address. Then block the buyer.

I can understand potentially misreading a listing and only realising afterwards that it was pick-up only. However, then somehow expecting that the seller is going to wear the cost of posting it to one is flat-out ridiculous! This situation is the buyer's fault.

If you want to message the buyer and see if they'll follow through with paying for a courier - OR to let the buyer know you're cancelling the purchase, this is the sort of thing you could write:

Dear [buyer],

Thank you for your communication.

The item you have purchased was listed as pick-up only. Shown on the listing under the Postage and Payments tab is:

Postage and handling

Item location: Templestowe, VIC, Australia
         Posting to: Will arrange for local pickup only (no postage).

As per eBay's "Buying with local pickup" and "Offering local pickup" policies, if you wish to arrange collection by a third party on a pick-up only item, this is the buyer's responsibility, and any costs involved are also the buyer's responsibility. I would be happy to act on your behalf and obtain a quotation for a courier, but of course you would be responsible for the courier's fee.

Under eBay's Money Back Guarantee, an item listed as pick-up only is not covered if it is not picked up by the buyer or collected by someone with whom the buyer has arranged delivery of the item to you (for instance, the buyer arranges freight).

[I look forward to your organising pick-up/collection within the next x days.]
OR
[As you have indicated that you don't wish to pay for delivery, and that you cannot pick up the item, I am cancelling this purchase. You will receive a refund shortly.]

Regards,
[your name]

EDIT:

kopenhagen and david beat me to it!

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

Haha!! They did too Countess. There’s a conspiracy afoot. Sneaky buggers!

i must be learning. I guessed that one right 🙂

Mel.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

Thanks for the replies,

I have sent 2 PayPal invoices for the shipping and he says he never got them, I have also messaged him 7 times as the item was sold 14 days ago.

Could he be delaying and do a chargeback on his credit card saying he never received the item???

If I try to cancel the order I get 3 options:

I'm out of stock 

Buyer asked to cancel the order 

Something was wrong with the buyer's address 

If I say I'm not shipping because it was pick up only, can he start a dispute with ebay?

And if I try to cancel the order, do I have to wait 7 to 10 days for him to respond before I can relist the item?

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

Option 3 - problem with buyer's address. What the first 3 responders advised.

Once you have cancelled and refunded, there is no possibility of a dispute.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

kopenhagen and david beat me to it!

Some people tend towards writing novels, others are happy with short short stories.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

Ok so I cancelled and chose 'something was wrong with the buyers address'

It says I have refunded the buyer, but will let me know when the buyer accepts the refund ?!

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Buyer wont pay shipping

davewil, I can't deny it; the evidence is against me. Even now, I feel the impulse to go into details of Anna Pavlovna/Annette Scherer's sore throat and cough...

doohan$$$, if you've refunded, the matter is finalised. The buyer will find s/he has been refunded, and thus ends the tale.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply