Buyers Addresses

Greeting fellow Ebayers, hope the summer is treating you all well.

Have a bit of a query. One of my recent sales was won by a buyer "based in China" even though I did not list China as a place I will post to. This was two days ago and payment has yet to materialise. Interestingly the delivery address is a  US address??.

The same item had been offered and won two weeks ago. Again won by a Chinese buyer and the delivery address was the UK. In that case the buyer asked for a cancellation which I readily agreed to.

My question is does this missmatch between where a buyer is based and delivery address happen often? and is this a method of getting around the exclusion of countries when an item is listed?

Any warnings and advise welcome.

I stress a bit when the postage and return postage adds up to more than 50% of an items value.

Cheers

Irky

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buyers Addresses

does the buyer have any feedback?   you might gain more information if he has previous buys

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers Addresses

I'm assuming it's the MIT loudspeaker cable, since it shows up twice in your recently completed listings. Not my area of expertise at all, but since it sold for $500+ both times, I'm going to suggest that this is a more scam-prone item than some of your others, and I would be wary of any apparent anomolies with the winning buyer account.

If you ship to US / UK but not China, it's likely that the shipping address was updated in the account in order to be able to bid at all (assuming you block people from bidding if their shipping address is a location you don't ship to), however, I'm inclined to believe a genuine buyer would more likely message and ask for shipping options to their country rather than circumvent your settings.

It's plausible that the buyers have been genuine or had genuine intentions, but for that amount of money I would err on the side of caution and consider shipping to Aus only with that one, and maybe listing it as a Buy It Now listing with immediate payment required - this tends to weed out a good number of scammers who may have targeted the listing.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers Addresses

Over the years I have sent a few items to locations other than the buyers home country, but only when they have made contact prior to buying and requesting such a shipment.   If they have not raised the issue prior to buying, then it is a cancellation based on something wrong with buyers address, no exceptions.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers Addresses

There is a good chance they are phishing for personal data, either using hijacked accounts or possibly in this case setting up eBay accounts to make fake purchases.

You need to add the regions or countries that you don't post to in your exclusion list so they cannot make bids or buy.

And if you have, my guess is the Chinese are trying a sneaky by making the delivery addy to somewhere you do post.

Genuine buyers may send gifts etc. and being Chinese new year it's also possibly a real buyer, but I doubt it.

image host
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers Addresses

Yes both winners have feedback and positive, but have heard that that is not an ironclad recommendation.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Buyers Addresses

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Yes it was/is the MITs, I am going to take the advise and cancel due to address issues.

Very helpfull, monster thanks

Cheers

Irky

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply