Buyers & Rorters

Dont know about others but have noticed a worryting trend..

Got a couple of past transactions where we think we were being rorted..

First one was about garment sizing we try to be as accurate as possible we actually measure every garment we sell.

We Clearly state sizing and what the label states and yes we know labels arent always a good guide..

But we Always measure..and describe the condition as accurately as possible

So recently we get a buyer who gets their garment ASAP..(no thanks there) then complains about sizing when it was clearly outlined in listing..

to avoid the dreaded red, we dont challenge claims and provide an instant refund and tell them to keep the jersey (that action in itself isnt a guarentee you wont get a red despite you providing a freebie, some folks are never happy)

we dont know about you..but you kind of get a vibe about a customer when they send you pre-purchase emails..you have this gut feeling somewthing is going to go wrong at the buyers end..we've acted on that by blocking prospective boneheads..

The other is a claim the garmet is damaged when we know it was in A1 condition prior to postage..we have extensive photos of each item we sell as a counter to claims..again we did the same approach as above.. dont argue.. provide instant refund,,& tell them to keep it..funny after the freebie there are no complaints there..the sizing & condition concerns seem to disappear immediately..

we wish Sellers were able to record a red/neg on bad buyers..its protection for us sellers who try to be as accurate as possible about our listings...and are getting ripped off becasue Paypal always sides with the buyer..and we the hard working seller is left out of pocket and getting undeserved red/negs/greys when we try to do everything possible to appease the buyer..

On a positive note we no longer send items overseas or locally without tracking the claims "I havent received my item" have disappeared..prior to that we'd get several a month..the rorting is out of there if you arent careful..

On Sales its been a record Xmas / Jan for us..its been absilutley insane..hope it picks up for those who arent experiencing the same..

regards..KD

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Buyers & Rorters

Totally agree with the tracking - every item over $50 we now send registered post. Havent had a "I havent received my item" question in a while.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

I personally never issue no-questions-asked refunds, at least, not without return of the item (I accept change of mind returns, as long as it is in the same condition as when sent). 

Of course, everyone needs to do what works best for their own business, but if the customer has been careless in their choice and not read the item details, description etc, I see no reason for that to make me out of pocket, nor any reason to reward their carelessness with a free item - especially if it means they continue to take no responsibility for their choices and expect the same treatment from other sellers. JMO

With damaged items, or anything that's my fault, I will sometimes issue a full refund without return, but do require more info and/or a photo, and the item needs to have no value to me or the buyer. If a return is required then I'll pay all costs etc.

At least half the time, probably a bit more, when someone contacts me with a complaint and I let them know what their options are, I never hear from them again, which is quite telling I think - I haven't had any bad feedback over handling a transaction that way yet, either. 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

cool thx for your insight on returns..interesting

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

I will send prepayment emails if I think something has not been answered by the listing description.

I have bought over 3000 items, many repeat purchases, over ten years.

Since your descriptions are detailed, it is unlikely I would be asking you anything, but would you want to block a buyer like me for asking questions up front?

Sellers on these forums will also complain about buyers who don't ask questions before buying.

You could be missing out by calling such actions "bonehead".

On the other side of things, you are being overly generous with your customers...with the damaged item, did they send you a picture?

I also sell. I would refund for damage but would need to see a clear photo to determine if that was true.

I always pay for tracking too, as a buyer or seller I insist on it. This does cut down considerably on lost packages in either direction.

Sometimes items do legitimately go astray in the mail, but not often. Tracking helps guarantee delivery as there is some accountability.

It does also cut down on claims.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

what about if buyer dont agree with your opinion re: condition and what about return postage do you charge for that or do you reinburse the customer postage costs?? interested to know cheers..

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

to avoid the dreaded red, we dont challenge claims and provide an instant refund and tell them to keep the jersey (that action in itself isnt a guarentee you wont get a red despite you providing a freebie, some folks are never happy)

I would never let myself be out by a single cent just to avoid a silly red dot on my computer screen. If you want to be a pushover then be one but did it ever occur to you that people may communicate by way of social networking sites telling each other which sellers are so frightened of a eg that they will refund without return!

My fault I refund and either tell them to keep it or if I think I can resell for more than the cost of return postage I will pay for it to be returned.

Unless measurements were not accurate, I ask for a photo with a tape measure showing the actual measurement, there is no way I would just refund and if they wanted to neg me they could do so.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

ok

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

I know you are asking Digi here, but for me, if I think that the issue was my fault, I would refund in full including return postage.

If it is for change of mind, the buyer pays the shipping cost for the return and the original postage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

cool thanks for the tip

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply