Buyers & Rorters

Dont know about others but have noticed a worryting trend..

Got a couple of past transactions where we think we were being rorted..

First one was about garment sizing we try to be as accurate as possible we actually measure every garment we sell.

We Clearly state sizing and what the label states and yes we know labels arent always a good guide..

But we Always measure..and describe the condition as accurately as possible

So recently we get a buyer who gets their garment ASAP..(no thanks there) then complains about sizing when it was clearly outlined in listing..

to avoid the dreaded red, we dont challenge claims and provide an instant refund and tell them to keep the jersey (that action in itself isnt a guarentee you wont get a red despite you providing a freebie, some folks are never happy)

we dont know about you..but you kind of get a vibe about a customer when they send you pre-purchase emails..you have this gut feeling somewthing is going to go wrong at the buyers end..we've acted on that by blocking prospective boneheads..

The other is a claim the garmet is damaged when we know it was in A1 condition prior to postage..we have extensive photos of each item we sell as a counter to claims..again we did the same approach as above.. dont argue.. provide instant refund,,& tell them to keep it..funny after the freebie there are no complaints there..the sizing & condition concerns seem to disappear immediately..

we wish Sellers were able to record a red/neg on bad buyers..its protection for us sellers who try to be as accurate as possible about our listings...and are getting ripped off becasue Paypal always sides with the buyer..and we the hard working seller is left out of pocket and getting undeserved red/negs/greys when we try to do everything possible to appease the buyer..

On a positive note we no longer send items overseas or locally without tracking the claims "I havent received my item" have disappeared..prior to that we'd get several a month..the rorting is out of there if you arent careful..

On Sales its been a record Xmas / Jan for us..its been absilutley insane..hope it picks up for those who arent experiencing the same..

regards..KD

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Buyers & Rorters

Interesting edit.

I agree with you that buyers can rort the system.

Tracking helps fix that.

If you are getting abusive/impossible emails sure, you would not want to enter into transactions with them.

Just wanted to point out that questions can lead to more business. Good communication is a positive thing for buyers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

And about negs, agree with photum junkie.

It is your business so you should be in control, not the buyers.

If you get negs, leave a follow up that addresses them, in a factual manner, no emotion.

Say it says "seller sent wrong size" for example, you can say "detailed measurements provided, returns accepted"

That neutralises the comment and prospective buyers won't be put off by the neg.

For buyers where they say not received, it could be true, it might not be.

You can leave feedback that says "item refunded as missing in mail" if you wanted to, that would show other sellers if the buyer had a history of item not eeceived claims if every seller did this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

@knewdoors wrote:

what about if buyer dont agree with your opinion re: condition and what about return postage do you charge for that or do you reinburse the customer postage costs?? interested to know cheers..

All of the items I sell are brand new now, so condition isn't an issue in that regard, but I did sell new and pre-owned clothing originally and working out how to describe condition on used items was something I spent a bit of time on.

For example, I rarely, if ever, used terms like "mint", "like new" or "as new", in fact for the majority of pre-owned clothing in top shape, the condition was typically stated as "good condition, not as new overall but no damage or other visible flaws". It was truthful, and I never got a single complaint that an item wasn't in as good condition as described. If I had used other terms to say virtually the same thing (eg "flawless"), expectations would have been a lot higher, I think. The wording you choose can help manage the impressions people get.

As amber said, if something is my fault, or I can see an item's quality wasn't up to scratch, the options I provide are pretty much this - if they can still use it and want to keep it, partial refund. If they don't want it but I can still use it, full refund with return postage paid by me, If neither of us want it, full refund without return. 

If it's their fault (eg by not reading the description), the only options are: refund of item price only, return costs paid by buyer, or full use of my description and photos to onsell it.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

cool digi..thanks oh to the "folks read social media line amd people will think you are soft" well going by that anyone who reads this now knows we wont be a soft touch anymore..reds or no reds..ever heard of a "flush" post = brings out ideas..thanks for the tip..and great advice by the way Digi good stuff..

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

some of the questions we receive have words we cant publish and they are first quetions!!thats what we meant.. we always respond to regular questions...welcome it and 9/10 its good..thanks AEG

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Buyers & Rorters

I basically agree with most of what you say & I do think there should be some visual evidence next to buyers who habitually don't pay or who make a lot of claims.

But there was one part where you said "..funny after the freebie there are no complaints there..the sizing & condition concerns seem to disappear immediately.."

This could be a bit harsh if the buyer is genuine. I once bought a pair of shoes (second hand but unworn) but when i received them, I noticed they were different sizes. I contacted the seller and was refunded the full amount including postage. I offered to send a photo. She didn't want the shoes back.

I gave her positive feedback as the shoes had been her mum's and I really don't think she realised they were different sizes. I didn't complain after I got my refund but the concern didn't disappear as such. I got rid of the shoes as for me, they were unwearable.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply