Buyers not understanding how to combine postage.

Does anyone else continuously have problems with customers not understanding how combined postage works?

Example, I get heaps of people ask me if I combine postage (which I do) and then explain that you need to commit to buy each item (but not pay for them individually) and then the postage will combine automatically at the very end. But nearly every time they always pay for each item separately. Or people will buy the items and pay separately for each one, and then send me a message after asking me to combine the postage.

I'm finding myself needing to go into PayPal and refund postage costs nearly everyday. Even some of these members have hundreds of feedback and been a member of 5+ years.

Why is this so confusing for so many members and does anyone else have this problem?

Let's work together and be best friends.
Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Buyers not understanding how to combine postage.

There is an option in the listings, thecat. Select how you'll be paid . You can check the 'Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now' box or not.

i leave it unchecked as i like to encourage combined postage.

Signatures suck.
Message 11 of 83
Latest reply

Regardless of the option in the listing, on a mobile you are taken straight to the checkout screen Joz.

You can not pay for multiple items at once on a mobile - unless you go out of mobile ebay app to classic view via mobile web brower - even then the browser often reverts to a mobile view. 

The whole set up of a mobile device "encourages" buyers to pay for their items one at a time.

Message 12 of 83
Latest reply

As well as the mobile issue often ebay or paypal split the order even when one payment is made for multiple purchases.

On several occasions I have made one payment for multiple purchases yet the seller receives several payments - and I don't use a mobile device when shopping on ebay.

Message 13 of 83
Latest reply

When u buy now a big screen comes up with pay now and I  was confused at first thinking that I had to pay straight away. When I first started on ebay some people had in there listings in big writing if you want combined postage request an invoice in my ebay and pay for all items together. I think they did have something like pj said about items ending within 7 days. This is how I figured it out.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 14 of 83
Latest reply

If buyers purchase via mobile devices they can not pay for combined items at checkout.  

Do they see the checkout message a seller has written?

I'm thinking that's probably a good place to have info like multiple items need to be paid for together to take advantage of combined postage discounts, and that if using a mobile device, switching to classic site will allow a combined payment (in addition to having the info in the listing).

Message 15 of 83
Latest reply

That's an excellent suggestion DG - you're always so sensible & practical 😉 I'll add the info to my checkout message and hopefully that will make life a bit easier.

Message 16 of 83
Latest reply

No, you don't see any message on checkout.  you are taken to paypal log-in

Trying to get classic site view on i-phone is pain, as it tends to revert back to mobile view - and you can't pay for combined on mobile view only.

...and the writing full page classic view is less than 2pt font - all a pain really, I can understand why people wouldn't be bothered doing it.

Message 17 of 83
Latest reply

Thanks for the information about the mobile devices .. That's really good to know and may explain why it happens a lot.

Let's work together and be best friends.
Message 18 of 83
Latest reply

That's an excellent suggestion DG - you're always so sensible & practical 😉 I'll add the info to my checkout message and hopefully that will make life a bit easier.

I try, :-x but if mobile shoppers can't see it, it looks like I've been foiled again.. :^O

Still, the more ways the info can be found, the more likely it is to spread and (hopefully) make a difference, even if a small one. 

Message 19 of 83
Latest reply

Wait a second...

No, you don't see any message on checkout.  you are taken to paypal log-in

So, if you click 'Pay Now', you go straight to PP login, bypassing any other payment options? What if the seller didn't offer PayPal? Surely you get some version of the checkout screen before the PP login? ?:|

Message 20 of 83
Latest reply