Buyers not understanding how to combine postage.

Does anyone else continuously have problems with customers not understanding how combined postage works?

Example, I get heaps of people ask me if I combine postage (which I do) and then explain that you need to commit to buy each item (but not pay for them individually) and then the postage will combine automatically at the very end. But nearly every time they always pay for each item separately. Or people will buy the items and pay separately for each one, and then send me a message after asking me to combine the postage.

I'm finding myself needing to go into PayPal and refund postage costs nearly everyday. Even some of these members have hundreds of feedback and been a member of 5+ years.

Why is this so confusing for so many members and does anyone else have this problem?

Let's work together and be best friends.
Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

wargul
Community Member

Some of us hark back to the cash in the mail days and are inherently suspicious of paypal.  Actually I didn't know that is how it works.  I have always asked for the invoice to be modified.  Thanks for that.  People won't know unless somebody tell them.

I miss the cash in the mail.

Message 2 of 83
Latest reply

Constantly have this problem with my auctions - most of them clearly state 'must be paid for together on one invoice' and 'please don't pay until I've sent you a combined invoice'.

Had one lady who won an auction yesterday and paid straight away. She won two more today and paid for each one separately before I had a chance to send an invoice - then sent me a message saying she'd just read my 'combined postage' paragraph and realised she'd done it all wrong.

Another one won an auction yesterday and paid immediately. Fair enough, I got her package all sealed and ready to take to the post office tomorrow. Today she wins another auction and sends a message requesting combined postage! AAARRRGH!!!  And yes, neither one of these buyers is a newbie - they have several hundred feedback each.

I've more or less learned to live with it as it's a regular occurence but I'm also trying to think of a way to simplify that one paragraph which relates to combined/discounted postage.

Message 3 of 83
Latest reply

I have it clearly stated that a combined discount may be available for items purchased within a 7 day period and paid for on a single invoice.

If they buy and pay individually I just treat them as separate transactions and post them individually. If they email and ask for a combined discount I refer them to the listing and say sorry but they ha ve already been processed ready for posting.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 83
Latest reply

"Does anyone else continuously have problems with customers not understanding how combined postage works?"

You answered your own question.

They don't obviously, or they wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Make them understand with clearer guidelines & info regarding this in your listings, & not just relying on buyers messaging you for info perhaps?

Not everybody on ebay is a 3000 plus feedback veteran such as yourself. 

Message 5 of 83
Latest reply

btw, having a look through your listings, you make no mention of combining postage, or any mention of postage at all for that matter.

This is your problem!

Message 6 of 83
Latest reply

Does anyone else continuously have problems with customers not understanding how combined postage works?

yep, even tho i never offer free postage listings and explain combined postage in my descriptions.

i constantly get buyers asking to combine postage after sending them an invoice where combined postage wasn't possible for say 2 to three magazines.

and, even tho i list the weights of the items too, some dont seem to want to do the sums or have any idea on AP postage rates. 

Signatures suck.
Message 7 of 83
Latest reply

"btw, having a look through your listings, you make no mention of combining postage, or any mention of postage at all for that matter.

This is your problem!"

Actually, upon reflecting your listings again, I see you do mention combined postage.

In passing.

I missed it, so will the buyers.

You need to make this more obvious, and explain it more, otherwise the average ebay user will never even notice it imo.

Message 8 of 83
Latest reply

Because there is no 'edit post' function in these stupid forums, I have to post again!

Although some of your listings mention combined postage, some don't.

Is this causing the confusion?

Message 9 of 83
Latest reply

If buyers purchase via mobile devices they can not pay for combined items at checkout.  

In addition, after you purchase a buy it now, you are taken straight into checkout and paypal login screen and it appears that there is no choice but to pay straightaway.

I am sure this accounts for some of those buyers that pay for items one at a time.

Message 10 of 83
Latest reply