CC chargeback

can someone please tell me the best way to handle a CC chargeback with paypal these days please?

The buyer is saying it was an unathorised transaction.

I have proof of shipment, the item was definitely delivered to the address in the transaction.

Having lost both the cash and the item with one of these chargebacks years ago i dont like my chances.

I've been reading a lot of these chargebacks are initiated by the banks when accounts are overdrawn?

I dont understand how they can demand paypal return the money when its clear the item was delivered to the card holders residence?

What about my bloody item?

They just expect me to lose the lot?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: CC chargeback

I was on the other side of this. See my thread from a couple of months back:

Strange Paypal transaction. Unauthorised purchase

Somebody managed to use my PayPal account with their eBay ID to make a large purchase overseas. The parcel was held at Customs and I told Auspost to send the item back but I had already received my refund from PayPal.

I don't know whether I would have got to keep the item if I had accepted the delivery or whether the funds were charged to the seller but its not always dodgy buyers that make these claims!

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

We have not had one of these in a while now.

We've had two in the past.

In both cases I contacted the buyers and in both cases they said they had not known it was happening.

The first case we had never seen one before and contested it as we saw it as nothing to do with us. But becasue we use regular mail without tracking we lost it and suffered the $15 contest fee as well. The buyer was good enough to send us the money to our bank account including the $15. So all good in the end.

The second case we felt a bit shy of contesting it for the above reasons and it was only a $4 item. The buyer had already offered to repay the $4 if they took it away from us. So I called PayPal and spoke with them. Again as we had no tracking they said they could not find in our favour. But since our record with PayPal was so good that they would make us a discretionary payment of the $4. We actually lost the case becasue of having no tracking but PayPal gave us back the $4. And there was no $15 fee as we did not contest it, just accepted liability. So in this case the buyer was happy and so were we.

So while they are annoying and it seems the banks will just balme the seller anyway it has had good outcomes for us so far.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@dylan11235813 wrote:

Does the tracking show delivered to the buyer postcode or to a distribution point with a different postcode?

I only ask because those ebay labels do not prove that you have lodged an item to the address (even with a lodgement reciept). If the tracking shows that it has gone to the poscode though you will be right.

Umm, yes they do.

Umm, no they don't....What would happen then if I was to edit the printed label. Unless they have implimented changes to them whereby the address is encoded somehow it would be a simple process of changing the address, the so called proof is non existant. I could just wipe the address out completely and lodge it. There could however be a process that the address is checked on the computer system when lodged but that has never happened for me.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

@dylan11235813 wrote:

Does the tracking show delivered to the buyer postcode or to a distribution point with a different postcode?

I only ask because those ebay labels do not prove that you have lodged an item to the address (even with a lodgement reciept). If the tracking shows that it has gone to the poscode though you will be right.

Umm, yes they do.

Umm, no they don't....What would happen then if I was to edit the printed label. Unless they have implimented changes to them whereby the address is encoded somehow it would be a simple process of changing the address, the so called proof is non existant. I could just wipe the address out completely and lodge it. There could however be a process that the address is checked on the computer system when lodged but that has never happened for me.

Yes you might well do that, but nonetheless even if the tracking scan does not show delivery, but the delivery centre nearest to the buyer, the probability that the item was sent to eBay address is likely to be sufficient for a case to be defended.  Different matter of course if the tracking shows a scan on the other side of country to the buyers address.

As paypal accepts eBay generated labels (or click & send or e-Parcel)  as addressed through automation, as proof against credit card chargeback or not as described if there is a single tracking scan showing article was sent - and no other to show that the parcel was not heading as originally addresssed, then that is all the proof that a seller needs to defend CCC or INR.   

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply