Can I bulk edit UPC numbers?

I have hundreds of listings and every one of them should be UPC - Does not apply. However, in the Bulk Edit tool there doesn't seem to be a way to change them except for individually. Urrghhh! Is there a way to bulk edit them?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I don't know if everyone has to do it... I think so? By "has to" I just mean that when you try to list new items, or relist, you won't be able to unless you fill in those fields. So I don't have to do this now, but at some point I will have to, and I also think ebay has said you end up lower in search results if you don't fill them in.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Ok, thanks.

I think eBay state that if buyers search by item specifics then you may be lower on the list, nothing more.

But I will start filling them in to see if it improves the viewing on my listings. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

I've only got about 3 or 4 listings that required it. The only reason I knew they required it was because there was an asterix next to the box and a dropdown in the box. I've never been asked for any of the other listings. Those 3 or 4 also required a brand name, which I just put in unbranded. Not sure if it will ever be required for my others or not. I list as auctions, so best match isn't really an issue for me as most people looking at auctions tend to search by time ending soonest.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

If you haven't already found a solution, I have one.

If you don't have it already, download Turbo Lister, import all your listings (this may take a while if you have lots, so take a lunch break while it brings them all in for you).  Select all, then click Edit in the menu bar. This will bring up a blank listing sheet and a warning message that any changes you make will be applied to all listings selected.  Change the UPC field to Does not apply and save.  Then synch TL to update your listings on line, this will also take a while.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I've always been a bit wary of using Turbo Lister in case it somehow screws up my listings en masse, but I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Thanks.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Me too, although in more than 10 years of using it I had never had an issue with it until 30 mins AFTER I posted this solution.  My TL installation died when I went to upload the batch of 37 listings I had spent 2 hours preparing this morning.  It won't even open now, will have to reinstall and hope the database hasn't been corrupted.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Arghh! Sorry to hear that.

I'm having a bit of trouble installing the thing in the first place... going round in loops.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

I have tried to edit the UPC option and change listings to "does not apply", but it all seems very manual.  With 3 stores and 27000+ listings, this is going to be painful...  and since the UPC does not apply to any of my items, it is going to be a pointless and very costly timewise.  I guess its head down for a few days...    

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

If you have access to File Exchange you can do it via the Excel CSV file interface. I think you need to specifically request access to File Exchange if you do not have it set up.

From there you can download a CSV file of all your active listings but instead of standard CSV select the File Exchange format for

"Add unique identifiers (UPC/EAN/ISBN/Brand/MPN)"

This will give you a downloaded CSV file that contains all your current values for these fields.

Then go thru and edit the applicable values in the CSV file (using Excel) and it will be ready to re-upload as it already contains all the necessary fields for a REVISE action for each record. Main ones being Item ID and Action Fields.

I've tried it on my stuff and it seems to work OK.

UPC.JPG

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

DO NOT start changing anything maually or you may find it does not stick. See my post "UPC DISASTER"

eBay support have acknowledged major bugs and software failures concerning UPC implementation. Even if you have a store, the work-around currently being peddled is not a sure fire solution once the software gets sorted out properly. I would hate to think you start spending days changing hundreds of your listings only to discover as I have done that the "Does Not Apply" setting fails to set in the field, especially if you have to revise the listing later on.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply