Can buyer return the item after almost 2 months?

Hi, I sold my camera last August and the buyer received it last August 12 or 14, now it's October 2 and the buyer got a problem with the camera and I've never ever experienced something like that when I had it. Can he/she still able to return it?
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Can buyer return the item after almost 2 months?

if they gave you feedback soon after receiving the item then you could mount a case with PayPal that the camera was as described when received and that the buyer has been using the camera for 6 weeks.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

i'd be fighting tooth-and-nail on this one if i was you. i'll mention things that others have already said, but i want to explain how i'd go about it. 

make sure you have all of the correspondence between yourself and the buyer and that you document it thoroughly when submitting it to paypal.this includes any emails between the two of you, ebay messages, tracking details etc. 

i assume from what you've said that the buyer has opened a paypal dispute for "item not as described?" 

go through the buyer protection policy here - https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and_Buyer_Prote... and find whatever you can to disprove what the buyer is claiming. 

obviously, a long time has passed so anything could have happened to the camera during that time - including wear and tear due to the buyer's use, damage on the buyer's behalf etc. the fact they left feedback as well is extremely important as it shows that they were satisfied with the item when they received it. 

you'll notice also that the paypal wording for buyer protection is "significantly" not as described."" 

make sure you spend the time necessary to formulate your argument and submit everything in a clear and concise manner. it's worth it when you're talking about presumably hundreds of dollars. don't forget, the person who is going to be reading through the material from paypal knows nothing about the transaction or the item - so the simpler you put it the better. mention dates, times etc. 

if you go to the effort of putting your response together well and all the buyer is saying is "one-liners" then this will help prove you are professional and you have done the right thing. 

have someone look over what you've said and make sure it makes sense to them and see if there are any glaring errors. 

i've found if you follow these steps with claims (i've only submitted a few of them over the years), you won't lose. i haven't lost one yet. 

just be detailed and honest and use all the ammunition you have :] good luck! keep us updated!

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

SNAD cases are notoriously difficult for a seller to defend against successfully.

However, I believe you will give yourself the best possible chance of success if you follow the great advice given above by lm-entertainment.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

My two bobs worth probably wont help much, but the buyer probably used it for whatever reason they needed it for, and has now no further use for it. Due to the slack ebay rules regarding buyers, they let them steal and commit fraud and get away with it. Legalised theft. Easy, just buy something, get the intended use out of it, then request money back due to some''unproveable fault". I say that because Ebay makes their decision without physically seeing the item.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

With the new rules I wonder how clothing sellers go when High School Formal & debutante season is over? 

Some years back I sold my 3 girl's worn once & drycleaned expensive dresses to very happy Ebay buyers. Any bets on if I sold them now they'd be returned (totally trashed & maybe @ my expense on return postage) within the 180 day time frame as "SNAD"? Given that formals & debuts are usually Oct to Nov - They could even get free formal hire for Xmas & maybe New Year's parties too?

Same could work for races or Wedding outfits maybe? I'm just becoming very cynical with ebay policies for sellers right now! 

I always try to do the right thing; Meandering through life without hurting anyone; Helping if I can; But sometimes I wonder about some other people's ethics!

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

i'm pretty sure i've read redders, from people who sell clothing items like you've described that it is already common practice by dodgey buyers now. it's an absolute joke. really feel for those sellers. 

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

One clothing seller suspected a scam and searched Facebook for her buyer.  

There she was in all her glory in the "damaged" dress at a posh function....now that it was over the "buyer" wanted her money back.

So yes, sh!t happens and the scammers keep on scamming.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

This is a PAYPAL dispute however. Different rules. And they apply to any transaction through Paypal, not just eBay.

Including that the buyer will be required to return the item by trackable means before they have any chance of a refund. Still might be a cheap deal, but not cost neutral.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

I don't think you will have much trouble defending a Paypal claim. if they open a dispute call Paypal and explain that it is a second hand item that they have used for two months. Try to get an assurance that Paypal will look carefully at the buyer's case.Make a note of the time of the call, the rep's name and their employee number. If Paypal find for the buyer call Paypal back, ask to speak to a supervisor and refer to your prior call and say  you don't think they have looked at the claim hard enough, that y ou should not have to accept a faulty second hand, as is item back after two months of use. Give them 48 hours to revise their decision and return the money to your account or you will contact the FSO.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Not really a reply to you PJ, but the OP's started another thread with more details than given on this one.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Ask-a-member/I-bought-a-brand-new-camera-sold-it-and-buyer-wants-a-r...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 20 of 30
Latest reply