Can buyer return the item after almost 2 months?

Hi, I sold my camera last August and the buyer received it last August 12 or 14, now it's October 2 and the buyer got a problem with the camera and I've never ever experienced something like that when I had it. Can he/she still able to return it?
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i'd be fighting tooth-and-nail on this one if i was you. i'll mention things that others have already said, but i want to explain how i'd go about it. 

make sure you have all of the correspondence between yourself and the buyer and that you document it thoroughly when submitting it to paypal.this includes any emails between the two of you, ebay messages, tracking details etc. 

i assume from what you've said that the buyer has opened a paypal dispute for "item not as described?" 

go through the buyer protection policy here - https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and_Buyer_Prote... and find whatever you can to disprove what the buyer is claiming. 

obviously, a long time has passed so anything could have happened to the camera during that time - including wear and tear due to the buyer's use, damage on the buyer's behalf etc. the fact they left feedback as well is extremely important as it shows that they were satisfied with the item when they received it. 

you'll notice also that the paypal wording for buyer protection is "significantly" not as described."" 

make sure you spend the time necessary to formulate your argument and submit everything in a clear and concise manner. it's worth it when you're talking about presumably hundreds of dollars. don't forget, the person who is going to be reading through the material from paypal knows nothing about the transaction or the item - so the simpler you put it the better. mention dates, times etc. 

if you go to the effort of putting your response together well and all the buyer is saying is "one-liners" then this will help prove you are professional and you have done the right thing. 

have someone look over what you've said and make sure it makes sense to them and see if there are any glaring errors. 

i've found if you follow these steps with claims (i've only submitted a few of them over the years), you won't lose. i haven't lost one yet. 

just be detailed and honest and use all the ammunition you have :] good luck! keep us updated!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Yes, if they paid by Paypal they have 180 days from sale date to open a dispute.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Yeah but how about in ebay return policy? because as an honest seller the item I sold are still in good working condition and now after almost 2 months he wants to return it because theres an error with the lens?

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

They would be likely to go through Paypal not eBay so eBay's return policies don't come into the picture.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

sorry to read that you have a buyer who is not happy.

To give you the best advice I am going to ask you a few questions if that is okay.

- did the buyer leave you feedback?

- how did the buyer pay?

- did your listing have “No returns accepted” like the LUMIX listing from last month?

- do you have any eBay messages from the buyer since the camera arrived?

- or have they opened a return claim?

In the mean time, eBay Money Back Gaurantee claim time has expired so they can only put in a claim through PayPal (if they paid by PayPal) OR through a credit card chargeback if they funded the PayPal payment by credit card.  PayPal claims period is 180 days, so they are within that time period.

It is important to only communicate with them via eBay messages.  Ask them to clearly describe the problem they are having.  You need to try to get them to admit in a message that the camera was in working order when they received it and the problem has only arisen recently.  This will strengthen your PayPal, seller protection  (if they paid by PayPal).

If they paid by bank deposit then you are under no obligation to accept a return of the item, and there is no eBay/PayPal mechanism for them to get a refund.

Please do come back with some more information so that we can offer you the best advice.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Hi, yes he gave me a positive feedback, he paid via paypal, yes it says no returns accepted in my list for Lumix, there is no message from the buyer since he got the Lumix he message me just today, he never opened a return claim, he wants a return just today Oct 2, 2017. After he received the Lumix last August 16

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

sorry to read that you have a buyer who is not happy.

To give you the best advice I am going to ask you a few questions if that is okay.

- did the buyer leave you feedback?

- how did the buyer pay?

- did your listing have “No returns accepted” like the LUMIX listing from last month?

- do you have any eBay messages from the buyer since the camera arrived?

- or have they opened a return claim?

In the mean time, eBay Money Back Gaurantee claim time has expired so they can only put in a claim through PayPal (if they paid by PayPal) OR through a credit card chargeback if they funded the PayPal payment by credit card.  PayPal claims period is 180 days, so they are within that time period.

It is important to only communicate with them via eBay messages.  Ask them to clearly describe the problem they are having.  You need to try to get them to admit in a message that the camera was in working order when they received it and the problem has only arisen recently.  This will strengthen your PayPal, seller protection  (if they paid by PayPal).

If they paid by bank deposit then you are under no obligation to accept a return of the item, and there is no eBay/PayPal mechanism for them to get a refund.

Please do come back with some more information so that we can offer you the best advice.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

I know you have said August a few times, but I can see a completed Lumix listing on 14th September. Is this the camera or is this another Lumix you sold?

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

It must be a different one K1. The one that ended in Sept had a broken sim tray, the August one had a scratch on the screen. If you view the OPs feedback you can see the August sale.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

yes I sold 2 lumix, youre right justkidzbiz, I solod my first lumix back last aug and the only problem with it is the small tiny scratch from the screen 

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

He gave me a positive feedback then after almost two months he opened a case in paypal saying its not as describe wth

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply