Can guest accounts leave feedback?

I received an order a few weeks ago from what I believe to be a guest account. (I'm not 100% sure how these work). Anyway, I had to get confirmation from the buyer about the address. I sent many, many messages over a 2 week period. Then he contacts me from a different account (which seems to be a non-guest account) enquiring about the order. Everything was confirmed with the address and the order was sent out on Friday. I have just received a message from him this morning saying he wants a refund and if it's not provided he will leave negative feedback.

1. How can I tell for sure if the purchase was made from a guest account?

2. Are guest accounts able to leave netative feedback?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

1. How can I tell for sure if the purchase was made from a guest account?

Guest accounts tend to be a long string of numbers and letters in random order.

2. Are guest accounts able to leave netative feedback?

I don't believe they can, but I might be mistaken. I have had many buyers use guest accounts to purchase and none of them have ever left feedback.  I imagine they can still use the eBay dispute process if the transacton goes pear-shaped, but if he has enquired about delivery using a registered account, he shouldn't be able to use that account to leave feedback for the guest purchase.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I just checked the information on Ebay about guests account and they CANNOT leave feedback.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

usually the guest account have strange number letter sequence and a lot of them. He will only be able to leave feedback from the account he purchased on so don't worry about the second account and if that account was a guest account then he won't be able to leave any feedback.

The problem is, I hope you sent the item to the paypal address associated with the first account.

If you did and you have tracking then to prove it then I would simply tell him that you can't issue a refund as the item has been sent and is in transit. if you feel like refunding him you can always tell him that oncew he recieves the item he can send it back at his expense and you will refund the initial price and postage.

You don't have to though as it's a change of mind.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks very much for the responses. It looks like it is a guest account, just all random letters. I feel a bit better now knowing that he can't leave feedback. Is is possible that the guest account somehow was made into this new account he has?

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

As soon as a guest supplies a password to Ebay it goes from a guest account to a regular account.

Sounds like that's what your buyer did.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@techbiz_123 wrote:

Thanks very much for the responses. It looks like it is a guest account, just all random letters. I feel a bit better now knowing that he can't leave feedback. Is is possible that the guest account somehow was made into this new account he has?

Have a look at the ID history on the regular account.  He may have just changed the ID. 

You may be dealing with the guest account which he has renamed now that it is a regular account.

If that is the case then he may be able to leave feedback.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply