Can someone tell me why Sports Trading Cards are not under Collectables yet are under Sporting Goods

Hi there.

Can someone tell me why Sports Trading Cards are not under Collectables?

I have asked eBay and they have not been forthcoming.

They have it ridculously listed under Sporting Goods. (never seen a Trading Card used on a Sports Field.)

Ironically eBay has Sport Trading Cards as its # 2 Collectable seller.

So as someone who recently purchased a Store I have to pay an Insertion fee to list Sports Trading Cards under its correct category.

I have spoken eBay they said they would look at it. Even after pointing out the obvious.  As above. 

Something not right here. Its illogical and quite absurd.

Tim.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Can someone tell me why Sports Trading Cards are not under Collectables yet are under Sporting Goods

This is off-topic but why are you subscribing to a store when you only have under 40 listings which you would have got for free on an ordinary selling account ?

Having a store doesn't increase visibility of your listings, only large sales will do that. Most sellers here will say that for a store to be viable you need well over 100 listing WITH a good sell-through rate.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Doesn't make much sense to me either.

But non-sport trading cards are under Collectables.

Go figure.

Padi's right about paying for a store, though.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I know it is old and collectable but not sure how you will go selling full cans of beer.  Others with more smarts than me may be able to tell you.  Think you may need a Liquor Licence"

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

You are right daydreams.....the OP does need a Liquor Licence to sell any sort of liquor whether it is collectable or not.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Obviously no one knows. As they do not know my business.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@for-the-ballers,

There isn't any call for you to feel attacked or as though posters are taking pot-shots at you – they're not. Rather, some helpful points have been made with the intention of giving you a heads'-up to avoid any potential problems. Nothing that's been posted here looks to me like a keyboard-warrior scrimmage, and I don't think calling the posts "dribble" is called for.

The reason why no one has given you an answer to the question "Can someone tell me why Sports Trading Cards are not under Collectables?" is simple.  eBay's ways when it comes to categories (among other things) are unfathomable, and none of the posters is an eBay employee, let alone an eBay manager or decision-maker arbitrarily deciding upon categories and sub-categories for  shoes and ships and sealing-wax, and cabbages and kings.

eBay CS weren't "forthcoming" (your words), but the truth is that eBay CS don't know why Sports Trading Cards aren't under Collectables. That's not their purview, and they don't have any authority whatsoever to change categories.

Of course eBay CS said they'd "look into it". eBay CS will say whatever will get the customer off the phone as quickly as possible, and to do so they will quote eBay policy (from pre-written scripts to the most frequently asked questions), soothingly tell you that the problem has been escalated, gently tell you that no one else has reported whatever problem you are reporting (in most cases a completely false statement), reassure you that the IT department is working on the issue, and calmingly inform you that your concern is important to them.

Technical glitches reported to eBay CS are, as a rule, useless. lalala.gif eBay CS Technical Glitch Response

User requests for "fixed" or "updated" features (such as new category requests) are, as a rule, also put into the "la la la" basket.

eBay say: ❝At eBay, we appreciate comments from our members on our products and services. But we have a long-standing policy of not accepting unsolicited suggestions, ideas, or proposals.

You can try sending an email suggesting that the category be changed, but the chances of eBay acting on it is... well... approaching 𝋠 (Mayan symbol for zero).

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply