Cancel a Sale

I’m not sure what’s going on lately, but I’m getting buyers who are not paying.

To be honest I’m sick of it.

Im no entrepreneur, just a Mum who’s been selling for 10 years.

When you msg a buyer about payment, you get smart **bleep** comments, telling me to take ‘a chill pill”.

In your opinion, is it better to have the automatic setting on, for when you haven’t received the payment for 4days or off.

I had a recent buyer, whom after I said I had cancelled  the order (purchased on 9/9, the after emails advising it was cancelled, paid on 25/9).

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cancel a Sale

You are doing the right thing IMO using the Unpaid Item Disupte (UID) process that's available.

This gives buyers a strike if they still do not pay and recovers your FVF fess once its closed.

And it also helps other sellers auto-block them.

Also make sure you have your own auto-blocks in place to block buyers who have 2 or more stikes accumulated within a 12-month period. This will weed out the majority of non-payers for you. 

Whether or not you set it to automatic is your choice.

Personally I do them manually in case I do hear back from someone with a plausible story and wish to extend the time. But mostly you never hear anything from them.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If you're unsure about blocks or unpaid disputes, I have just left instructions on another thread. https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Feedback-for-non-paying-buyers/m-p/2093650#M160407

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Make your items "Buy It Now" with "Immediate Payment" required.

Eliminates non-payers 100% of the time.

Did this a few years ago myself and never looked back.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If you make it automatic, remember to turn it off if you have a buyer who wants to take a few days to buy other items and combine them.

If you're likely to be away yourself for a day or two you'll also need to remember to turn it off. I once bought something and the seller told me they had more of the same item that they'd list for me, and that they'd combine postage on them all - but then they went away over a long weekend without telling me and the unpaid process kicked in on the first item, which I found quite offensive.

I would have put up with it if she hadn't added insult to injury by lying about it and saying ebay had set it up and she couldn't do anything about it. After that I wouldn't have bought anything from her, no matter what it was, so I just wore the non-payment strike (my first and only one).
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I'm sorry you're having a rough trot. Mean people make me sad. It's so trustrating.

I recently had a seller email to cancel an order the moment the auction finished. (Wouldn't it be funny if this was our mutual transaction!)

They emailed me to say they had forgotten to put the postage on. Okay, good, thanks for letting me know.

What they didn't do, however, was formally cancel the sale. So the item kept sitting in my "To pay" list and every time I had to click it away so I wouldn't pay for... until the day about two weeks later I thought I'd clicked it away, but hadn't, and so paid.

Feeling like a nong, I had to message my seller, explain that I'd accidentally paid and ask them to initiate the formal cancel and refund. They were nice and did it ASAP.

Our experiences sound a bit different, though - as if your buyer deliberately ignored your advice and paid just to be a pain. That could have been avoided by formally cancelling the sale.

I can't give good advice about using the auto non-payer dispute tool - I don't sell enough or the types of items that would warrant turning it on.

Good luck with your business!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply