Cancel item

As a seller if I cancel an order can the buyer leave me negative feedback? They have not paid me yet if that matters. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cancel item

@renaescrochettowels wrote:
As a seller if I cancel an order can the buyer leave me negative feedback? 

Yes.

Any cancellation leaves the feedback option open for both parties, whether the item was paid for or not.

If the cancellation is mutual, this generally isn't an issue, but if the buyer wants to persist with the sale, then they may leave non-positive feedback if you withdraw or cancel suddenly and don't advise why, or it's because something like you wanted a higher price.  

If you want to cancel because the buyer has not paid, you are better off opening an unpaid item dispute, as if that closes without payment, feedback can not be left by either party (note: I recommend you not do this if only you want to withdraw from the sale and the buyer doesn't pay because you advise them not to, in that case, just cancel the transaction at buyer's request, after confirming they agree). 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What matters is that you will get a defect - can you tell us why you want to cancel?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

And the buyer can leave negative feedback depending on how soon after the sale date it's cancelled.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@renaescrochettowels wrote:
As a seller if I cancel an order can the buyer leave me negative feedback? 

Yes.

Any cancellation leaves the feedback option open for both parties, whether the item was paid for or not.

If the cancellation is mutual, this generally isn't an issue, but if the buyer wants to persist with the sale, then they may leave non-positive feedback if you withdraw or cancel suddenly and don't advise why, or it's because something like you wanted a higher price.  

If you want to cancel because the buyer has not paid, you are better off opening an unpaid item dispute, as if that closes without payment, feedback can not be left by either party (note: I recommend you not do this if only you want to withdraw from the sale and the buyer doesn't pay because you advise them not to, in that case, just cancel the transaction at buyer's request, after confirming they agree). 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

This is no longer the case.

I have recently had a couple of seller cancellations and feedback is not an option.

I assume it is because the cancellation is done very soon after purchase.

image host
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

This is no longer the case.

I have recently had a couple of seller cancellations and feedback is not an option.

I assume it is because the cancellation is done very soon after purchase.

Hmm, I wonder if it is a temporary measure due to Covid-19?

I know in a lot cases the transaction disappears from purchase history so the feedback option looks like it's no longer available as well, but the only current situation in which feedback options are officially* limited is when a seller agrees to a buyer-initiated cancellation request, in which case a positive comment can be left, but not a neg or neut. Not unless the seller has selected buyer requested cancellation and it was processed within an hour of purchase? Then maybe eBay count it as an official buyer-initiated cancellation. 

*By officially, I basically mean as far as I can see in current policies - eBay have been a bit more on the vague side with seller protections being offered as part of their response to Covid-19, though. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply