Caravan going for a song..??

Someone has listed a Jayco 2007 caravan on my local buy, swap, sell.  I contacted the person as it is so cheap - really too cheap.  She emailed with a story, which may be genuine, saying husband tragically killed. She left for Alice Springs with new travel job.  She said I would have to give name and address and eBay will arrange delivery with 5 days to view and decide.  Has anyone heard of EBay doing these kind of deals/services?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Caravan going for a song..??

The 30% was definitely what i read as i recall being shocked at the time (a few years back).

How accurate it is, I have no way of knowing. It was an article in the Herald Sun, which is a daily newspaper here.

From memory, it didn't say every one of the ads was a scam as such (though it implied scams were common), it was saying that a lot of the ads, especially in newspapers, were found to be misleading and often that car was not available for some reason-maybe a scam, maybe already sold etc, but there to hook interest.

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

The 30% could easily have been average, with only 5% on carsales but 55% on some other site. It wouldn't have been exactly 30% on every site.

I'd imagine that's one thing the Chinese don't list on ebay AU. Or do they???
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

I imagine it was a rough average. No idea how they came at it. Maybe they contacted sellers down a list to find out how many actually welcomed inspection and how many deflected them. I think the article said newspapers were the worst.

I also read a while back (same newspaper) that Caribbean Market, which is not far from me, was known as one of the worst in the world (which is what got my attention-not worst in Aust-worst in the world) as far as pirated movies, DVDs, that sort of stuff was concerned. Apparently just about every stall with them was selling fakes.

Now you'd think it would be an easy thing to have police swoop in etc and put a stop to it, but for some reason that was never successful. I'd say the report was probably true because a friend of mine bought some movies there for her husband and I recall she was surprised to find them on sale, had not realised they had been released.

Turns out they hadn't been.Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

did you get yr money back

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

@sa323226 wrote:

did you get yr money back

Since the person you are repying to realised it was a scam, then there was no money to get back...........DUH

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

There's so many of them on FB selling cars too cheap,

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

And elsewhere. I think the key thing with cars. caravans, jetskis etc is you need to be able to see them in person and pick them up. If it is some car etc that is amazingly cheap and you're going to have to pay for it then have 'delivered' at a later date, steer clear. Scam.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

The scammers had a couple more out back...
Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

This happened to me two days ago too, person selling a 2010 Daintree caravan for very cheap, claiming it was cheap to offload assets due to divorce, trying to gain trust by saying she worked away in the airforce. Iโ€™ve used eBay many years and they donโ€™t have the capacity to โ€œarrangeโ€ a long distance sale, there will be an eBay listing if being sold thru eBay. Steer very clear, donโ€™t give out any information, and if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

It is a well know scam that has been around for at least 12 years

Hundreds of posts about it on the forum

110% scam

It is nothing to do with eBay in any way

Just part of the scammer's story

and amazing how many time what kind of 'car' they have changes

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply