Cash on pick up

What are the 'rules' about cash on pick up?

I have searched the latest Paypal User Agreement, but the only reference I found was to seller protection (in Section 11.2) which states:

PayPal seller protection does not apply to Claims, Chargebacks and/or Reversals for the reason that the purchase was Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) nor for items that you deliver or are picked up in person.

Searching through old threads yields several mentions of there being no buyer protection either, but cannot find anything specific in the Agreement.

I much prefer cash on pickup and have never had a buyer disagree with this, until now.

A week or so ago, a buyer bought an item, and requested pick up. In my listings, I state I am happy to allow pickups and also say that payment in cash is preferred. I then sent her an invoice for the item cost only (so I wouldn't have to pay fees on postage). She wanted to pay via PP - for a $10 item - saying she never carried cash. After a bit of back and forth, where we each dug our heels in, I suggested we just cancel the sale to which she replied 'OK'. 

So I cancelled the sale, thinking this would be the end of it, until this evening. The 'buyer' wrote saying she keeps getting notifications to pay, and to please advise. (She is also a seller, with a store!) I suggested that she accept the cancellation and that would be the end of the emails. She wrote back saying The truth is I don't want to cancel. You're choosing to do so., I reminded her she had agreed to the cancellation by saying OK when I suggested it (and I still have the email). Now she is saying she is going to ring the ebay help line to get them to 'sort it out' (her words).

Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Cash on pick up

Hmm sounds like she's going to be a difficult buyer.

for future reference, (until eBay force you to accept PayPal on pick up) I would state in your listings "pick up is welcome but cash only" instead of "preferred".

i think the only option if she refuses to pay cash is accept PayPal and then add her to your "special buyers list"

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

@egglesdtp wrote:

What are the 'rules' about cash on pick up?

Well, if she rings eBay, she will probably be told that the rules (for sellers) are:

You must offer a safe payment method (PayPal or merchant facilities) in most categories

Any payment methods you offer, you are obliged to accept, regardless of the delivery method

So, at this point I'd probably just reply, apologise and ask if they would still like to complete the order. 

Currently, there is no buyer or seller protection for pick up items via PayPal. That means the buyer can't win a PayPal dispute if they try to open one for INR or SNAD, but they can still do a credit card chargeback if the payment was funded that way. No seller protection means if a CC chargeback is initiated, you will either have to provide evidence to successfully defend it (very difficult, practically impossible if it's an "unauthorised use" claim), or lose the funds. 

Since the buyer is a seller, chances are at least decent that they would be funding the payment with money in their account, which would make something like a chargeback a little less likely (though not impossible), they may just find paying for things more convenient - I've used PayPal and then gone to pick up items (at department stores), since I often have more ready cash in my PP account than anywhere else). 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

@designers*n*more wrote:

Hmm sounds like she's going to be a difficult buyer.

for future reference, (until eBay force you to accept PayPal on pick up) I would state in your listings "pick up is welcome but cash only" instead of "preferred".

I don't think she sounds difficult, to me it kinda  sounds like she bought something but payment was refused (maybe as a seller she knows full well if PP is offered, it has to be accepted so attempted to insist), but ultimately chose to let it go until the payment reminders started to bug her, then when pressed admitted that she would have preferred to complete the purchase.

It's actually not allowed to say "cash only" for pick ups - "preferred" is ok. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

PayPal protection coming on pick up items.

I don't know when it's in force.

Sir sales started a thread on it.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/PayPal-to-provide-buyer-protection-for-eligible-PickUp-and-H...

image host
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

So have ebay changed the rules?

you used to get your listing removed if someone reported you had cash only written for pickup.... you could only say preferred. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

@digital*ghost wrote:

Currently, there is no buyer or seller protection for pick up items via PayPal.

But where does it state this in the Paypal Agreement?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

@egglesdtp wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Currently, there is no buyer or seller protection for pick up items via PayPal.

But where does it state this in the Paypal Agreement?

log into PayPal, go to the bottom of the page, click on legal, go to Schedule 1- PayPal Seller and Buyer Protection Policies

For sellers:

S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if: 

d  The item is delivered in person or picked up in person

For buyers:

S12.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

i: Your purchase is not for:

i:  Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf

If I could take screengrabs I would, but the info above is cut and paste from the policy.

This Policy will change from 15th July, so you will need to check it again after that date.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Cash on pick up

Thank you.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply