Change to fixed price listings ONLY with immediate payment required?

chezzy
Community Member

A recent item of mine was bid on and won by a zero-feedback buyer. I left the bid because "everyone has to start somewhere blah blah" and the person had said they would pay the next day if they won. Apparently then they couldn't pay by paypal because they had a minus balance in paypal...and asked for my bank account details. Which I sent them AGAIN (had also included my bank account details in the invoice I had sent them).

The auction ended Tuesday night so come tonight it will be 5 days since listing ended. In the item description I have it saying
"Payment - paypal or bank deposit - to be received within 5 days of listing end". What is disappointing/surprising is that the buyer has not sent any updates as to their intentions or to inform me that payment has been made. Though I guess technically they have until around 8.30pm tonight.

Most buyers pay very quickly - same day or next. So it strikes me as odd that a new ebayer/account is not really 'trying harder' to make a good impression (either with quick payment or good communication) in an attempt to build up positive feedback.

At this point I don't know how this transaction will end. But I am seriously thinking about changing any new listings to fixed price only - with immediate (paypal) payment required. Curious to hear what other sellers do to reduce potential problems. Do you give a strict time frame for paying, require immediate payment or what? Thankyou.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Change to fixed price listings ONLY with immediate payment required?

The best thing I did was change from Auctions to BIN with immediate payment. This means that payment has to be sent on checkout otherwise it continues listing. 

The only problem I have with this method is it is impossible to send a combined Invoice if someone has bought more than 1 item.

I usually refund their extra postage payment through Paypal Pay a Friend rather than through the payment link as I'm not sure what gives defects anymore when it comes to refunds.

And yes - I swallow the ebay fees on the second postage.

But - no non paying bidders and an 8 day wait to relist.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

@pancaket52 wrote:

The best thing I did was change from Auctions to BIN with immediate payment. This means that payment has to be sent on checkout otherwise it continues listing. 

The only problem I have with this method is it is impossible to send a combined Invoice if someone has bought more than 1 item.

I usually refund their extra postage payment through Paypal Pay a Friend rather than through the payment link as I'm not sure what gives defects anymore when it comes to refunds.

And yes - I swallow the ebay fees on the second postage.

But - no non paying bidders and an 8 day wait to relist.

This really bugs me - what is the point in having 'terms' in one's listings. But thankyou - am really leaning towards BIN/instant payment should I choose to continue with ebay at all (just getting back into it after a long absence)

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Yes, did this in December and it's the best thing I ever did on here.

No more "accidental" purchases. No more "my kid purchased it" etc.

Buyers can still combine postage. They just need to put their items in the shopping cart first, then pay from there. I have a note on all of my listings to let people know and most of the time they seem to read it.

I still have "make an offer" and also run auctions which you cannot have instant payment on. But they are only a small percentage of sales.

You can always give it a try and if you don't like it just switch back. You can make the change in bulk in Selling Manager.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Thankyou Beach and Home. Am just a casual seller but think it is time I tried fixed price listings (as opposed to

auctions with BIN attached) - am seeing more pros than cons.

As far as the current buyer goes, if payment isn't received tonight am wondering if I should 'cancel' the transaction

or go unpaid item route? Pros/cons?

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Hi, In similar situations, i usually send a final email along the lines of have you paid by bank deposit? I need to apply for refund of fees, which will result in a non - paying strike for you. Please let me know over next 24 hours.

The buyer responds or I just go to non- paying buyer process. I have experienced very few non-payers.

Cheers
Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Sorry for ignoring your question. Just go the non payer route. Much better for you.
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

yes it's best to open an unpaid item case. If you open a cancel request then you have to wait for them to respond. If you open an unpaid item case you can just close it in 4 days. At least that way you have some control.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@cridco wrote:
Hi, In similar situations, i usually send a final email along the lines of have you paid by bank deposit? I need to apply for refund of fees, which will result in a non - paying strike for you. Please let me know over next 24 hours.

The buyer responds or I just go to non- paying buyer process. I have experienced very few non-payers.

Cheers

I find it's best not to mention anything about a "non-paying strike". For some reason people take offence that you have opened a case because they haven't paid. I dont know why, because they are the ones in the wrong. If they do contact you after you've opened the case then simply say you need to do it to get your fees back, that's all, no need to go into details.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Just figured doing a cancel (?) might 'release' the item so I can sell to someone else or via another avenue. Surprisingly in all my years of ebaying I have never had a slow payer, I feel like my luck is running out. I also feel that in future if I was to run any auction listings I might cancel zero-feedback bids

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply