Changing Buyers address

Anyone else having dramas with not being able to change buyer's address when they request it or have made a mistake, like put in the wrong post code?  Its driving me nuts!  Ebay say its a new security feature and the seller must now cancel the transaction and the buyer re-purchase with the correct address.  I can see this losing a lot of sales!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Changing Buyers address

If an article is not sent to the address specified in PayPal during checkout, zero seller protection.

Up to you.

If you haven't done a label just lodge it manually at AP with tracking.

Or cancel that label to get a credit and send manually.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Changing Buyers address

@becs_tupper_cupboard wrote:

Anyone else having dramas with not being able to change buyer's address when they request it or have made a mistake, like put in the wrong post code?  Its driving me nuts!  Ebay say its a new security feature and the seller must now cancel the transaction and the buyer re-purchase with the correct address.  I can see this losing a lot of sales!

Neat, it's so like eBay - they make things a more difficult and convoluted process instead of doing address verification before sales take place and making things easier for everyone. 

Technically, cancelling and having the buyer re-purchase has been the unofficial "right" way to go about things for as long as people have been able to pay by PayPal etc, but it absolutely does cost sales if you try to enforce that procedure (I had one not two days ago - international sale on another site, and this time the buyer wrote that they wanted it shipped to a completely different address in the notes to seller instead of just clicking the "change address" option in checkout. I can be flexible with buyers if they make a mistake, but this is deliberate laziness at best, and a scam attempt at worst, plus it was also the second time this week someone did exactly that [note to seller request for address change, I mean], so I wasn't having it Smiley LOL I sent a very polite message, though, and explained the process to them, but they did the usual "other sellers don't have a problem with it, very disappointed, cancel the order" bit. I was just like, ok, done Smiley Happy They clearly do it a lot if the "other sellers" bit was true). 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Changing Buyers address

I have an interesting story about that.

I recently (like less that 2 weeks ago) had a customer who put her postcode as 2468 instead of 2684. When I changed her postcode, the special ebay auspost shipping options went away and I could only choose the normal auspost shipping options which cost $1.75 more or whatever.

Lucky for me I also use a courier service, and this particular customer was only 2 cents more. So I just sent it that way. I also sent a polite message letting the customer know that while it wasn't a problem for me because I have alternatives, some sellers would have to cancel her order because the postcode was wrong. She thanked me and told me she fixed it.

Ok, here is where it gets interesting. I also clicked on one of those "tell us what you think" buttons at the bottom of the page on the shipping screen and told them that I need the ability to be able to change an address so that I can fix things like a typo in a customers address and used the same postcode example.

The very next day I had been switched back to an older iteration of the shipping page where I can still change the postcode.

Shocked Smiley Face - Clipart library

Maybe there is still an ebay god or 2 who sometimes listens.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Changing Buyers address

@digital*ghost wrote:
Neat, it's so like eBay - they make things a more difficult and convoluted process instead of doing address verification before sales take place and making things easier for everyone. 

Yup even the **bleep**py windows xp* computers we use at my day job as cash registers have address verification using a database provided by auspost, so it can't be that hard.

Although, there is the problem that it would be a bit more difficult to implement for existing accounts and it would annoy people. They could add it to the payment process though. "please verify your delivery address to be certain your item arrives at the correct destination before we process your payment"

As long as they stop asking once it's verified.

*they are not really xp anymore, they finally upgraded to windows 10 a couple of years ago, but address verification still worked back then.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply