Changing to Windows 10?

Currently still got Windows 7 Pro loaded.

Can I get Windows 10 loaded easily onto my computer? Everyone seems hell bent on pushing us to buy a new computer but would like to know if there is a cheaper option? Support for Win 7 ends Jan 14th so want to start moving on this now so not under the pump.

Any information would be helpful. 

We have a PC not laptop, and not interested in changing as the larger screen is better for me. Plus don't want to "travel".

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Changing to Windows 10?

A smooth transition to Window 10 will all depend on your computer stats, the age of your computer, I have a Dell and very happy with it. The size of your hard drive, a TB is good, the Ram, 16GB is best but 8GB should be ok. The processor best with at least i5 better with i7. The operating system that comes with Windows 10, named the Edge works very well with eBay. I use a 23โ€ screen and it is very good.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

I have resisted window 10 so far because I read I will lose all my email folders ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

If your ISP and you are using a POP account for your emails with windows Outlook account they should just down load a repoputed your same folders and all the emails , it will take sometime if you have a lot going back several years and depending how long you ISP keeps them. Dould check with ypur ISP. 

Failing that just copy all your emaisl to an external hard drive , and the upload to the Widows 10 and outlook.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

I have no plan on changing from windows 7 as I find it faster as the laptop I use for ebay is nearing 10 years old. I do not use it for anything else so do not see any issues regarding ebay especially as Turbolister is no longer which would struggle with older machines.

For the price of windows 10 I find it cheaper to just buy a used case or laptop with it already installed.  

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

You don't have to upgrade just because support is ending. That just means no more updates. Everything will still work just the way it does now for quite some time yet. I have many computers including one running Windows XP! My advice is to just not fix what isn't broken. We have too much tech rubbish on this planet already.
Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Thanks everyone for your information and comments.

Am going to contact our computer people and talk to them and see what they quote/say. 

Can feel that this is going to be a loooooong debate and consideration to determine what to do. 

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Not sure what our stats are for current computer don't have any information re size and ram as it was given to us.

Is there an easy way to look it up?

Thanks very much for your help.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

That is all fine if you are not worried about hackers getting into your accounts. These people will have a field day looking for those who don't change over. You may have been very lucky so far. As for me, I am not taking the chance.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

I have it on good authority that is it better to buy a new computer with Windows 10 than to upgrade. Components change so fast that who knows if you could be buying trouble if your old ones can't keep up. We change our computers every 5 years regardless to keep everything running smoothly. Electrical components dry out and wear out over time, so I need a reliable computer. I also keep an offline computer for other non internet related hobbies, which is where the spare goes while it still works.  As the family share the one online computer this works out well for us.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply