Changing to Windows 10?

Currently still got Windows 7 Pro loaded.

Can I get Windows 10 loaded easily onto my computer? Everyone seems hell bent on pushing us to buy a new computer but would like to know if there is a cheaper option? Support for Win 7 ends Jan 14th so want to start moving on this now so not under the pump.

Any information would be helpful. 

We have a PC not laptop, and not interested in changing as the larger screen is better for me. Plus don't want to "travel".

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Changing to Windows 10?

@eol-products wrote:

I know you can most likely turn most things off with windows 10 but I dislike when it decides to update when I need to use it. Doesn't help I have a slow internet connection and this is most likely the cause of most of my frustration with it hence I like the simple windows 7. 

I second that!

The last thing I would ever want to do is hand control of my equipment to the idiot goons from Redmond.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

How about you just programme it to update when it's convenient for you?

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

For all of those who love or loathe Windows 10 Update, the next major update is due today 12/11.  May be a few days before we see it, but its on its way.

There is also a rumour that there will be no more higher versions of Windows in the near future, just updates to Windows 10 which will become known as just Windows after support for Windows 8 has finished.

To the OP if you check the Microsoft site there are tools to check that your PC and Prgrams will run on Windows 10.  Also you can download an ISO of Windows 10 and purchase a licence.  Before buying a new licence try your old Win 7 key some users claim that it still works.  Worth a try and may save you money.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Will give that a try, still researching and thinking thinking thinking......Thanks to everyone for ideas and thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Windows 7 rocks and just because Microshaft wants you to buy a new PC so Bill can further his wealth, there is few reasons to change.  These days everything is nearly internet cloud based, so you only need a web browser.  Threats are all internet based so as long as you have a decent anti virus software you have little to worry about.

At the end of the day it's the human element that brings you unstuck, so if something looks suspect via email be smart.  Ignorance and stupidity is your worst enemy.

Many older people bemoan the Windows 10 interface and the learning curve can be steep.  If you do decide to upgrade but still like the Windows XP/7 style of interface, download and install ClassicShell or OpenShell which gives you W10 wrapped in the familiar W7 look and the nice big START button !

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

@gec2002 wrote:

For all of those who love or loathe Windows 10 Update, the next major update is due today 12/11.  May be a few days before we see it, but its on its way.

There is also a rumour that there will be no more higher versions of Windows in the near future, just updates to Windows 10 which will become known as just Windows after support for Windows 8 has finished.

To the OP if you check the Microsoft site there are tools to check that your PC and Prgrams will run on Windows 10.  Also you can download an ISO of Windows 10 and purchase a licence.  Before buying a new licence try your old Win 7 key some users claim that it still works.  Worth a try and may save you money.

It took all of 3 minutes.  Major?

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Well you're lucky. One of my computers started the update last night around midnight when I finished work, and was still going at 8 this morning. I do have **bleep** internet though so that probably doesn't help.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

I do have NBN, so that helped, I guess.

And it's cable to the house, not that ADSL carp.

But I started it and went to make some toast.

It was done before the toast was.

Oh, and the update was convenient for me.

It asked me if I wanted to do it now or another time.

I was thinking it would take a while, so I clicked 'now'

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

Like stawks, I upgraded my systems to windows 10, way back when it was a free upgrade.

Run Firefox on one system and   edge on the other, dont  recall having any problems with setup or use.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Changing to Windows 10?

If you upgrade your current computer to 10, whatever you do don't try and opt out and go back to what you were using before. I upgraded to 10 when it was free but hated it. They said you could opt out so I did but it caused massive problems, especially with my emails.
Message 30 of 33
Latest reply