Click and Collect Pros and Cons?

bmanly3
Community Member

I did a search of this and got a few threads up and some are old and others have some conflicting advice. Some people said they wouldn't rule it out and others have called it a disaster.

I sell all my items with tracked postage on top.

Do you use click and collect? What are the pros and cons? As a person who doesn't like extra parties involved in the handling of my deliveries I am a bit sceptical this is a good idea. Between me, the post office and the postie, I wonder if having supermarket staff handling your deliveries is a good idea.

So what is your opinion?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I've never opted in to use it on my listings, or used it as a buyer (not much point, since I have a PO box ) so can't say anything from experience. I'm the same as you, though, the fewer third parties there are in the chain, the less opportunity there is for passing the buck when something goes wrong (eg Aus Post blame the receiving store, the receiving store blames Aus Post and so on). 

But, I also don't see anywhere near as many complaints about it (from buyers or sellers) as there were in the first couple of years after being introduced, though in fairness i can't say if that's because a lot of the bugs have been ironed out, or if people just don't use the forums as much (my own participation is sporadic these days, so I may have missed a few issues with C&C). I do know that it's not just Woolworths and Big W anymore - I was checking a listing the other day and there must have been 20+ options for collection near me (ParcelPoint and Hubbed locations, which were just local stores, pharmacies etc), which I'm sure would be handy for some buyers, with so many more locations to choose from, many of which may have trading hours more suited to them.

With parcel lockers and parcel collect being available to everyone as well, I suspect you probably wouldn't gain too much by offering click and collect, though better for someone who offers it to offer insight on that. 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I think it can be useful if someone cannot be home when a parcel is due to arrive and they live very far from the post office, but there is a participating store nearby.

Personally I have never used it.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I have used it a lot in the past, but not in the last 12mths.  
I have to say, it suited me well, and I would use it again. I found it very convenient as I would get a txt msg saying it had arrived and then I could just go and collect at my convenience, and do some groceries while I was there. 😂 (Woolworths)   
Worked for me as I was often out of town for work, and did not want my items sitting on the front verandah for 2-3 days. 

I actually might start using it again.  

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Can I ask why you wouldn't just get a Parcel Collect number or Parcel Locker from your Post Office free? Then you can pick it up when ever you like (if it is the parcel locker). I am just wondering as I would think your parcel would be safer held in a Post Office or locker rather than say a supermarket with hundreds of staff rotating around the item. Thanks.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

My biggest concern is who is liable if a tracked parcel goes missing from a supermarket pick up point. Who pays if the item is gone? Seller done everything right, buyer did nothing wrong, supermarket says they know nothing, Australia Post says item was delivered to supermarket.

Who pays for the missing item?

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Can I ask why you wouldn't just get a Parcel Collect number or Parcel Locker from your Post Office free? Then you can pick it up when ever you like (if it is the parcel locker). I am just wondering as I would think your parcel would be safer held in a Post Office or locker rather than say a supermarket with hundreds of staff rotating around the item. Thanks.

When I used click and collect, (I then lived in a large country city NSW), Woolworths was actually closer to me than the PO. It was a matter of convenience.   We did have Parcel Collect lockers at Office works, but that building closed at 5.30pm and that didn’t suit me. At Woolies, I could still collect my item at 10pm at night, most evenings, if I wanted to.  I never ever had one missing item. 

I’ve since moved towns. I’m now in a very small rural country town in NSW and we just don’t have Parcel Collect lockers. The PO closes at 5pm. I work full time shift work, in another town.  AtM, I’m having my items delivered by AP to my address, but I think I might give C &C a go here and see how it goes.  Our Woolworths is very small. Only about 50-80 staff. (If that). 

(tbh, I haven’t even checked if we even have C&C available here, I’ll have to look into it and get back to you. ) 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Who pays for the missing item?

The T&Cs can be found at the link below, but I find this one of interest (emphasis mine):

eBay is not liable for the loss or damage of any item until it has been received at the designated collection location. Please refer to the terms and conditions of carriage with your carrier if an item is lost or damaged in transit. eBay is not liable for the acts or omissions of a carrier. eBay's maximum liability under these Terms is that set out in the User Agreement.

This implies that ebay is liable once it arrives at the collection point? Though nowhere that I could see does it state so explicitly. In fact the previous paragraph says:

eBay does not take possession of the item and you agree that eBay is not a bailee. eBay, ParcelPoint and Hubbed excludes any and all liability (whether arising under contract, common law or statute) for any duties arising as a bailee to the fullest extent permitted by law.

This is them basically saying that at no point are eBay considered in possession of the package(s), and do not accept any liability in that capacity - that I get, but it kinda contradicts the implied statement of the paragraph that follows it. More concerning is excluding ParcelPoint and Hubbed from liability as a bailee, though (which in layman's terms means taking possession of but not ownership, which usually means duty of care and liabilities - they are excluding the entities but not the actual locations, eg it'd be a bit like Uber Eats saying they take no liability for the quality of food that you get from any specific restaurant I guess, but that would potentially leave either buyer or seller fighting with a specific store if something went wrong after delivery to the collection point).

Link below, anyway - maybe someone else can put it all into better context than me imperfectly interpreting and / or just reading between the lines / making assumptions, as that is less than ideal 🤣 

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/click-collect

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Not quite ' when you like ' - you have 48 hours to collect - if not - return to sender.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Not quite ' when you like ' - you have 48 hours to collect - if not - return to sender.

Parcel collect is a lot longer than parcel lockers - they go directly to POs and they will hold for at least 10 days - it's basically a no delivery / "no safe drop" arrangement and you get to pick which PO the package goes to (as long as the PO is a participating outlet).

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply