Clumsy fingers !!

Yesterday, I had a BIN sale of one of my items, but a couple of minutes later, a message from the buyer explaining that she had pushed the BIN button in error and could I cancel the purchase. I suspect that this was 'buyer's remorse', but that's neither here nor there.

All my sale items are listed for auction or BIN and in the past when someone has bid on an item in error and requested a cancellation its been quite straightforward. I simply submit a cancellation request and move on with the auction.

The difference here is that with a BIN sale, the item automatically moves into the 'Sold' section of the ebay selling page.

Anyway, I obliged and put in a cancellation request which the buyer naturally agreed to, expecting that the sale item would then be reinstated to my active selling list. Wrong !!

When I asked ebay to reinstate it, they explained that that was not possible and that I would manually have to relist. Yes they understood that I thought this was unfair but they could do nothing about it, as this was all 'system generated'. (The 'system' has a lot to answer for, it would seem !!)

Of course this meant that I not only had to use another one of my precious 40 free listings, but I lost the watchers I had previously had for the item.

When I had the temerity to suggest that if this was the case, the 'system' needed modifying and could they send my suggestion to the relevant dept, I received a 'rap across the knuckles'. The agent said: let me remind you, you are one of the lucky ebay sellers, receiving 40 free listings every month.

I accept that I am one of the 'lucky' sellers (although I really don't know what proportion of sellers receive the free listings) However,  that doesn't make this situation right !

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Clumsy fingers !!

If you use relist on the item, the watchers will get an email saying that the item has been re-listed.

Your situation is why a lot of sellers are now saying that they will not accept cancellations.   Your buyer did not have "clumsy" fingers, she has to press buy it now, and then confirm - two steps.

Doesn't make it better, I know.

PS:   block the buyer, you don't want any more clumsy mistakes from them.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

Can I suggest that you tick the 'Immediate Payment' Box on your BIN Listings. 

This means that the buyer has to pay for it or it remains on your selling list.

This doesn't stop the buyers from asking for a refund  but it certainly cuts down on the non payers and Cancellation requests.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

That's my thinking as well.

For, "Sorry I 'accidentally' pushed the wrong button.", read "Sorry, I've changed my mind".

But what can you do? However you interpret it, it doesn't make much difference to the outcome.

I don't like to risk neg feedback and I'm not altogether certain that the buyer couldn't achieve the desired outcome (ie cancellation) without any input from me.

I guess, had I thought on, I could have refused the cancellation but its the first time, I've had the request for cancellation of a BIN sale. It didn't even occur to me that the item wouldn't automatically be reinstated to the active selling list.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

In the past had a few situations like you're describing and also learned the hard way that the listings don't get reinstated.

Now I have BIN on all my listings and since I did that, the amount of issues I used to have has dropped considerably.

The only issue I MIGHT get now is a buyer wanting to return an item, but in all honesty, those are really in the minority - it was the people who either didn't pay or who "accidentally" bought something that was a much, much bigger problem.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

There is one way to stop a listing from ending when someone buys it, but it will only affect good 'til cancelled Buy It Now listings, i.e. the out of stock option. I understand it won't suit everyone, just saying it's an option for those who may list this way.

I have have that switched on, so when someone recently purchased an item that I only have one of, the listing went to 0 available but was still active. Then, when they asked to cancel, I just had to revise and make the quantity 1 again. The only downside is that you'll occasionally get people saying they can't pay because you don't ship to their address, especially if all of your items only have a quantity of 1, since it invariably happens when the last or only available item sells (generally when a buyer uses BIN and then goes to pay, as opposed to the cart). This may well have been the reason my buyer asked to cancel, as they thought they made a mistake, but everyone else has pretty much been 'yo, what's going on', and I've sent through a new invoice to override the error. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

I had one of those the other day, someone bought an item, paid for it and a number of hours later asked for a refund and that it was their toddler who clicked on it. Apparently a toddler - to my understanding, means a child at the age of two or three - was able to search for something, use perfect spelling, click on an item, buy it, then click on PayPal at the top of the new payment screen, log in with the PayPal username and password, wait for it to finally sort itself out, click the payment again to verify everything, and then close everything off without anyone knowing what just happened. Said user is now on the special list, although it's doubtful they would have bought anything else anyway.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

even cats buy on eBay

catonebay.jpg

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

All non stores get 40 free listings a month, so you aren't one of the lucky ones.

A lot of us now don't do cancellations, we go the unpaid item route. Even if they ask nicely, I reply nicely that a case will be opened and they are to ignore it and to also ignore any automated requests to pay. Once the case is closed, it's all taken care of. I don't tell them they'll get a strike. Of course if they've already paid it's a different story.

If you go the UPI route, they can't leave bad feedback. If they do, eBay will remove it when the dispute is closed. I always use the term case rather than dispute as it sounds less threatening to the numpty (or their toddler, or cat, or pidgeon, or neighbours brothers wifes auntys sister in laws overseas sister who just happened to be on their computer).

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Clumsy fingers !!

...just thought I'd add... I tend to dismiss the excuse and just look at the request when these kinds of messages come in, but that's just because I offer returns for change of mind so if they change their mind before they pay, it's a lot easier to deal with than if they change their mind after they've received it.

It does grate when a buyer opts to fib, as with me it's completely unnecessary and a little insulting, but I'll just process the cancellation and be done with it in most cases (I would be more inclined to go the UPI route instead if the buyer is exhibiting other problematic behaviours, as most people are just happy and relieved and won't do anything else after the transaction is cancelled). 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply