Coin collection to sell - after some selling/postage tips

I want to start offloading a big coin collection we inherited, I was thinking it was best to start with some of the smaller items (eg $1/$5 uncirculated coins in packets).  I believe I should start small to build up a good reputation for when I want to start selling the more valuable items.    Ive been watching prices so have a good idea what they are going for.  I would like to ask - firstly re postage - do most coin sellers send these smaller coins (they are in small flat wallets) in jsut a normal envelope - given I see postage is either free or around $3?  For these type of items is it best to list as a Buy It now, best offer or Auction?  From what I can see a $1 is going for around $3-$5 or more depending on what it is, a $5 coin selling  up to around $12. I have multiples of some of these coins - is it best to sell individually and give the buyer the option of multi postage?

thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Multiple purchases is always better to give the buyer the option.

But it's difficult to put them in a multi listing as coins will all differ with grades unless they are pre-packed from the mint.

I would sell individually and have in all my listings that multiple purchases can be combined for discounted postage.

Unless there are a lot of very low value items then as a bulk lot of 10 or 20 coins might be the best.

As for postage, letter is supposed to be document only but if they are sent as large letter $2 they can provided they don't exceed 20mm thick. (fit into a normal letterbox slot) If multiple purchases are made they can often go in a padded encelope as large letter.

A good idea to start with a few and work up so you know how eBay selling works.

As well, you will probably be limited to 10 free listings per month being a new seller.

So listing as Buy it Now for 30 days is probably the way to go.

Auctions aren't what they used to be on eBay and many buyers don't want to wait until an auction finishes.

Auctions are good for rare items that may get multiple bidders fighting for it.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask further questions.

image host
Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Great, thanks for your speedy reply!  

all but a few of the coins are RAM or Perth Mint and all in superb condition mainly because they have sat in boxes in our house  for 14 years and before that in the in laws house for 10years I reckon most of them have been barely looked at!  

i have for example about 20 x $1 Phar Lap coins, all in exactly the same condition - can I list just the one coin and somewhere in the listing note that there are 'multiples' avaiable?

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Another question!  I see that there is an option to buy on ebay the prepaid or non prepaid satchels (500g or 1kg), is there one that is a better choice than another?  Thinking this would be for using on the bigger coins - like the proof and uncirculated sets

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Yes you simply do a listing for one coin and enter 20 in the quantity field then the buyer can select 2,3 or however many up to 20.

It will also show as how many have sold in the history and that can improve it's ranking in searches.

(if they are silver prrof coins then they seem to be selling for $55 - $99 each)

On the satchels, that is a good question because sending items as large letter doesn't have tracking (although I believe it's available soon if not already)

Higher value items are best sent with tracking so you are covered.

There are buyers that know the system and if they see an item sent without tracking, all they need to do is open a case for INR to get the money back. With tracking you are covered for delivered items and if items are expensive then perhaps signature on delivery is better. High priced items, buyers won't mind paying $20-30 on postage.

image host
Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

@baf65partner wrote:

Great, thanks for your speedy reply!  

all but a few of the coins are RAM or Perth Mint and all in superb condition mainly because they have sat in boxes in our house  for 14 years and before that in the in laws house for 10years I reckon most of them have been barely looked at!  

i have for example about 20 x $1 Phar Lap coins, all in exactly the same condition - can I list just the one coin and somewhere in the listing note that there are 'multiples' avaiable?

You can list multiples within the same listing, ie qty 10, but they count towards any listing limits you have.

Also be aware that there will probably be a 21 day hold on your funds until you establish a track record. You will still be expected to post within your handling time, however.

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

eBay postage is generally cheaper than the equivalent AP offering (unless your volume will trigger MyPost Business discounts), but satchelwise only applies to 500g and 3kg. You have much better protection than a hand written prepaid satchel though.

You still need to buy the satchels from AP. Through eBay is probably best as there is no minimum spend. 20+ is the most economical, but that would depend on whether or not you think you will use them.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

@baf65partner wrote:

Another question!  I see that there is an option to buy on ebay the prepaid or non prepaid satchels (500g or 1kg), is there one that is a better choice than another?  Thinking this would be for using on the bigger coins - like the proof and uncirculated sets

if you are buying Aust Post prepaid satchels on eBay you need to be careful as there are some sellers who sell fake satchels.  These satchels look almost the same as the ones you would buy in an AP shop.  Check the feedback of any seller who is selling AP satchels, be extra careful if they have many listings for AP satchels at low prices.  If their pirces seem too good to be true then they truly are too good to be true.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Beware-buying-Aust-post-express-satchels/m-p/2206625/highli...

If you are going to buying a lot of satchels you can get a discount by buying packs of 10 from AP shops.  Buy 10 packs of 10 and they get even cheaper.

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

dave makes a good point on multiple listings as counting off your first freebies that i forgot about.

I would list perhaps 3 of those coins in quantity and in a good to cancelled listing so the history continues then you can always add to the quantity as they sell.

image host
Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Does that track record apply to being a buyer as well as a seller? ive got my own ebay account with only positive feedback as a seller but I havent sold or bought from it for a few years. Then Ive got my partners account which has only positive feedback as a buyer over the last few years, but no seller feedback at all, Which of the two would be best to use? On both accounts I have got 40 free listings available
Message 10 of 36
Latest reply