Combined Postage problems

Hi

I'm looking for solutions on how I achieve combined postage for buyers as effectively as possible. I often get complaints from people with smartphones who say there is no combined postage option. If they place an order via laptop or pc, the request invoice option appears.

They see items, add them to the cart, after all items are added, they go to checkout and click "request invoice". But this option does not appear on smartphones. I've tested this from another eBay account I have on a smartphone and cannot see the option for "request invoice" either. Consequently, the way I get around it is to issue them a refund after the sale.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it somehow available on smartphones?

The other thing buyers request of me is to send them an invoice for items before they have selected anything to add to the cart. I gather this is not possible?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Combined Postage problems

The last I heard this was a problem with phone purchases. 

Only works on pc's etc...

Best solution i can offer is do a refund after they have purchased.

Some other sellers might drop in here to offer a better solution, just keep checking back.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If a customer is unable to use a desktop device to access the " request total from Seller" option, I advise them to let me know which items they want then:

*if postage above normal amount - I roll all into one listing with combined postage, make the title " Special Order" and send them the item number. 

*if no increase in postage, advise them to buy one at full item plus postage price, then buy the other(s) but make sure to tick ' free pickup' postage option when paying. I've had no probs adding same tracking to all items in the one package when sales done separately like this.

Good luck and Good Health

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Automatic discounts work on the app, if you're able to set up postage rules. It's a bit more difficult with some items, but if you can make something like an $X per additional item rule work, that should apply no matter what. 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I use postage policies.

That way you can set up the first item to be $9.15 and input whatever amount you want to increase the postage by for the second item.

Just so you know, postage for parcels is now $9.30 since beginning of September, of which you're paying just under 14% in fees, so you're subsidising the buyer postage quite substantially.

I also looked at the one listing description, which says $8.95 up to 500g in the text, so you might want to change those as they conflict with what you have as postage.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I've never quite worked out how I can make this work. For example, I have one item that is 100 grams ( some less, some more) and with packaging it is about 300g. Sometimes depending on what customers choose they can fit 3-4 of those items in 1 $9.30 (500g box). It's in their interest to get postage at $9.30. 

If I change it to say $1-$2 extra for postage, then it makes my item uncompetitive. And if they choose say a 100g item, then a 600g item then how does that work? Does it make the postage for them say $10.50 when it should be $12.70 at least for the postage?

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Ooops ok, thanks re the postage.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@paper-jack wrote:

If a customer is unable to use a desktop device to access the " request total from Seller" option, I advise them to let me know which items they want then:

*if postage above normal amount - I roll all into one listing with combined postage, make the title " Special Order" and send them the item number. 

*if no increase in postage, advise them to buy one at full item plus postage price, then buy the other(s) but make sure to tick ' free pickup' postage option when paying. I've had no probs adding same tracking to all items in the one package when sales done separately like this.

Good luck and Good Health

I'm thinking this is the only way it's going to work for me. Although, often the problem is, they buy some items, don't use the request total option, then send me a message saying, can I combine postage?

I usually have to just refund them postage costs.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

For what it's worth:

1) this has been an issue (with numerous threads) for many years.

2) eBay keep 'tweaking'....

3) savvy buyers know to use a pc or laptop in order to request combined postage, after filling their cart

4) eBay in 'their wisdom' have chosen not to include it on the ap at this stage?? (more money for them- cynical I know)

5) In the 'Search all Content' at the top of this page......search for 'combined postage' and you will see what I mean

6) Meanwhile, as they continue to move the goalposts, there are options you can try..ie...I have my combined postage instructions under my store banner, and in my item description

7) I have NOT set up postage rules as it is impossible for me

Good luck - there is no easy way (I wish)....but tomorrow is another day, so who knows?

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

What about flat rate postage systems, as then only the size of the packaging material needs to be take into account (you can put boxes inside a flat rate satchel). 

Don't underestimate a buyer's preference for convenience over saving $1 or $2. By which I mean to say that the vast majority of buyers will prefer the simplicity of just being able to check out without any additional problems, delays, or admin from the seller, particularly when they can see the final postage total up front rather than commit to buy in a wait and see kind of situation (this is precisely why free postage business models can work - I don't do free postage, but I do the next best thing, which is flat rate postage, a single cost for any number of items. You can also have a base rate, plus $x for each additional item capped at $X, or use calculated to make sure combined weights charge the correct postage; all of these can also be incentives for a buyer to not only complete checkout, but to maximise the cost-effectiveness of the postage amount when it's known up front). 

In my case, sometimes buyers pay a little less than what postage costs me, sometimes they pay a little more (not massive amounts, it works out between $1-$2 difference each way in most cases, when only taking actual postage cost into account, and not my packaging etc). Occasionally I'll pay $10+ more in postage than the buyer has, but my pricing on heavier / larger items accounts for this, anyway. 

I'm not saying my system should work for everyone, just that there are a lot more ways of looking at / calculating the best way, outside of trying to get postage costs perfectly matching in every scenario; if you can work out a way where your costs are covered overall, rather than on a per transaction basis. 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply