Combined Postage problems

Hi

I'm looking for solutions on how I achieve combined postage for buyers as effectively as possible. I often get complaints from people with smartphones who say there is no combined postage option. If they place an order via laptop or pc, the request invoice option appears.

They see items, add them to the cart, after all items are added, they go to checkout and click "request invoice". But this option does not appear on smartphones. I've tested this from another eBay account I have on a smartphone and cannot see the option for "request invoice" either. Consequently, the way I get around it is to issue them a refund after the sale.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it somehow available on smartphones?

The other thing buyers request of me is to send them an invoice for items before they have selected anything to add to the cart. I gather this is not possible?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Combined Postage problems

@twyngwyn wrote:

For what it's worth:

1) this has been an issue (with numerous threads) for many years.

They are a big enough company, why haven't they made this feature work on a smartphone? This one thing is making myself and probably others explore other options, other than eBay. Like why is it happening? They don't have any developers that know how to do this? Get some who do. They make more money from people not being able to use the request total feature from smartphones? It enrages sellers the time it takes stuffing around with this and explaining to people. 

@twyngwyn wrote:

For what it's worth:

3) savvy buyers know to use a pc or laptop in order to request combined postage, after filling their cart

I've explained the process to people countless times. But many people only have a smartphone.

@twyngwyn wrote:

For what it's worth:

6) Meanwhile, as they continue to move the goalposts, there are options you can try..ie...I have my combined postage instructions under my store banner, and in my item description

I haven't got the instructions on my store banner ( but thanks for the tip), but I do have it in the description of every item and also added to the condition line of every item, lol. Still doesn't stop the problem completely.

I heard a good workaround before on this thread or find out what they want and combine them all in one listing.

Although, still doesn't stop the people who order from their smartphone and send a message later saying "can you combine postage"?

@twyngwyn wrote:

For what it's worth:

7) I have NOT set up postage rules as it is impossible for me

Same.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

This is because "smart phones" are not so smart.  They cannot access a lot of features that a computer can, this not only affects things like combining postage on eBay but on websites in general.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@mobius2011 wrote:

@paper-jack wrote:

If a customer is unable to use a desktop device to access the " request total from Seller" option, I advise them to let me know which items they want then:

*if postage above normal amount - I roll all into one listing with combined postage, make the title " Special Order" and send them the item number. 

*if no increase in postage, advise them to buy one at full item plus postage price, then buy the other(s) but make sure to tick ' free pickup' postage option when paying. I've had no probs adding same tracking to all items in the one package when sales done separately like this.

Good luck and Good Health

I'm thinking this is the only way it's going to work for me. Although, often the problem is, they buy some items, don't use the request total option, then send me a message saying, can I combine postage?

I usually have to just refund them postage costs.

I've had this situation a few times on my other Ebay account where I sell things I make. The way I deal with this problem is to offer goods in lieu of a refund.  I clearly state in every description that I am happy to combine postage before any payment is made. So when a buyer goes ahead and pays eg, for 3 items including 3 lots of postage, I work out the extra they paid less ebay fees and email them with a choice of items. So far every buyer has been happy to pick an extra item instead of refund.

Of course this solution only works if a seller has items of various value and that will appeal to the buyer.

Cheers.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

its a known fact that the apps do not do this, they claim they are working on it.

So if a buyer only has a phone the seller gets screwed by eBay and they charge approximately 15% FVF on original postage and not the real postage costs after you have sent refunds for combined postage back to the buyer. That really sucks and I am not sure it is legal even though they claim it is their policy.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Again eBay charge FVF to the seller on original postage not the real postage costs after the refund.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply