Confusing ebay ID tag on address

tcrazer
Community Member

So i've just used ebay to print out a postage label and the ebay ID tag is on the same line as the street address. so it'll read like this

ebay:123abc 50 Whatever St

Are they deliberately trying to confuse delivery drivers? I've already created the label so can't change it now, but this is just annoying.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Same for everybody - I don't use ebay labels anymore - I use Aust Post labels, the cost is the same, you can take out the code thingy, and if you have a lot of postage they offer a discount.

If using ebay labels, you can edit the address to put the code in a different line.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Apparently that is the format as agreed between  ebay  and AP, so not designed to confuse the humble postie.  Apparently it generates extra tracking for ebay  and ebay advise not to remove the code.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

We suspect the code links backwards from Australia Post to the eBay item ID, so Australia Post can verify the value of the goods if an insurance / compensation claim is made for damage or lost in transit.

We remove all codes, item ID and description from printing on the label. Keeps nosey would be thieves from checking on the contents to see if it is worth stealing. We use MyPost for better discounts.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

For our part, eBay has not provided us with a sufficiently compelling reason to include the coding on any of our address label and as such we purposely delete same.

On our AusPost business acount, and when we import the eBay orders we simply (a) delete the eBay code from the 1st line of the address and (b) cut/paste the 1st line of the actual address.

No apparent consequences to date

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@offroad7400 wrote:
We suspect the code links backwards from Australia Post to the eBay item ID, so Australia Post can verify the value of the goods if an insurance / compensation claim is made for damage or lost in transit.

We remove all codes, item ID and description from printing on the label. Keeps nosey would be thieves from checking on the contents to see if it is worth stealing. We use MyPost for better discounts.

I was curious as to your theory of the code being a back link to the item,  I highly doubt it, I use AP Business  and the AP labels clearly show the  ebay item ID number for reference.

I then  looked at  10 identical sales from a single bulk listing,  of the seven digit code generated for each sale, the only charachter that remained constant was the 2nd digit being the number 4

I then checked the code generated for numerous other sales  and again the number 4  was the only constant  and being the 2nd digit of the code.

I am leaning to the number 4  being an indicator that the shipment is originating from Qld.

So any other  Qld sellers out there,  that can verify  the charachter 4  appearing as the 2nd digit in the code.

Or any non Qld sellers, for that matter

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry, we're in NSW and the second digit in our codes is also 4.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I am in NSW and checked 10 different saved labels. One had 4 as the second digit, the rest were either all letters, or random letters and numbers, e.g xnycqxt or t3l33vj. No rhyme or reason to any of them.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:
Sorry, we're in NSW and the second digit in our codes is also 4.

well that blows my theory out of the water.  Thanks for letting me know

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I am in NSW and checked 10 different saved labels. One had 4 as the second digit, the rest were either all letters, or random letters and numbers, e.g xnycqxt or t3l33vj. No rhyme or reason to any of them.

Hi Tippy,  my theory for the 2nd charachter has been blown out of the water, and that is the only constant in my ebay codes.

Now where did I put that enigma doo dacky.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply