Continual eCheque Payment

Item sold sometime early december and was paid by eCheque. Sent a message when it did not go through and they replied and paid again by eCheque. 

Now for the part I cannot understand, everytime the eCheque is cancelled (5-6 days I think) by Paypal due to no funds coming through they pay it again. What could be the reason for this? It's not like I am going to send it to it clears, is there some weird thing that happens if you drag it out long enough. 

I have never come across this before and I did do a buyer has not paid claim a week ago only for them tp use an eCheque again. I will have to message them again to see what the response is.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

From my own personal experience having had the same issue and I also have one now is that each time it is PayPal that keep

on trying to take the money out of the buyers bank account and it's obvious that the buyer doesn't have any money in their account.

It's as if PayPal are willing to do this for the next 30 days.

If the first payment doesn't go through then why don't they just cancel the transaction and give our fees back seriously.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I can see a couple of possibilities...

The buyer does not have enough money in their bank account to cover the payment.  Even if they deposit more money they may not be taking the bank charges into account.

They obviously do not have a credit card attached to paypal or the payment would default to that.

Or the buyer has not linked the bank account to paypal properly.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Sometimes payments that normally come off a credit card mysteriously go through as e-cheques. The buyers are often unaware that it's even happened. You'd think they'd check if it's happened more than once and was never meant to be an e-cheque in the first place but one thing I've learnt not to rely on is a buyer's intelligence.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I have sent them a message stating the funding source issue and will wait to see the what they say. I would have thought after 5-6 times though i may have received a message if they still wanted the item.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Can you just cancel the transaction and what would happen if you did?

Would you get a strike and would the buyer be able to leave you feedback?

It's very frustrating when the echeque doesn't seem to go through.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

You would have to do a seller cancelation which will earn me a strike. Eventually I would imagine I will pass the point of getting the fees back. I have sent them a message so will see what they say. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

It appears I can cancel even though an eCheque is still showing. I had done a buyer has not paid request on the 3rd and received an email just now saying it can be cancelled.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I was going to say that is what should happen. If it were me I would complete the cancelation and re-list.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

The echeque payment I received finally cleared and the funny thing is that it now shows the payment was made on the day

the echeque was made.

That's totally wrong as it should show the date paid as the date it finally cleared,this makes the buyer look good when it shouldn't.

The good thing is I get time to send the item from the cleared date.

Hope the buyer doesn't think I'm posting it too late,I did send them a message saying they paid with an echeque and it will take time to clear before I can send as per PayPal instructions.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply