Counterfeit LEGO

So, I've noticed lately that there has been an increase in the amount of Counterfeit LEGO. A brand called Decool has popped up using LEGO in the listing title & also Ninjago, which is another Trademark. I've reported plenty of times & know other people who have done so too, but eBay have still done Nothing!

The listings also use Official LEGO images & are often difficult to find the information that they are not genuine LEGO minifigures or sets.

How can we stop rubbish like this getting onto eBay? One seller even has multiple identical BIN listings, which has again been reported, but with no action from eBay!

For those buying LEGO, especially in the lead up to Christmas, please read the listings carefully, otherwise your childs LEGO collection will get diluted with inferior product!

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Counterfeit LEGO

I understand notorious_guf .I felt the same when I searched Lego Listings a few months back.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

travelling_agoraphobic
Community Member

Good on you for making the effort to try and stop sellers from flogging fakes, notorious_guf. I hope it pays off.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

I had overpriced bits of plastic as a child and they were passed onto my nephew along with all the overpriced bits of plastic my sister had amassed as a child.

My nephew played and built with the blocks for years so I would only ever buy genuine Lego because it still goes together perfectly after about 50 years and will last another 50 years of good solid play.

None of the pieces have ever been damaged through normal use and probably only about 5 pieces overall have ever been damaged through carelessness.

Why rubbish something that you don't like or want to buy when so many are happy with the item and only want the genuine item?

I think it is all about choice and someone here wants to buy the genuine stuff and good on 'em,

Lego lasts a lifetime.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Interestingly when I started selling Lego their distributor at the time reviewed my website to ensure it was satisfactory for the purposes of selling Lego. Presumably they wanted to ensure that it looked professional.

I was also advised that it is a condition of trade that Lego is not sold on Ebay. I contacted Lego directly and they confirmed this to be the case. As a result I chose not to list Lego (and other brands with similar conditions) on Ebay. They specifically stated "We do not give permission to sell our sets on ebay." but also acknowldeged that they are "aware that many people do sell sets on that (EBay) website".

I agree that at least some of the other "plastic blocks" on the market are inferior to Lego, some moreso than others. Unfortunately not all parents can afford to buy Lego branded plastic bricks for their children, and I don't think they should be made to feel guilty for doing so. That is a bit harsh.

I agree that non Lego branded plastic blocks should not be able to use the word "Lego" in their description. I imagine some will get around this by saying that the blocks are compatible with Lego.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Wishuponastar.... you make a very valid point about Parents who cannot afford LEGO, I tend to agree with this, however it does not make it right that Counterfeit LEGO, blatant copies of the Genuine product, should be allowed to be sold, it is illegal! There are plenty of similar brick/building block products to LEGO that are legitimate & are cheap, essentially they have their own ideas & designs & offer the Parent, who may not be able to afford LEGO, an alternative, without buying illegal product.

Take for example a person who can afford a BMW, not everyone can afford this, so the alternative is a different brand with their own marketing etc, perhaps a Holden, or Hyundai. If there were Fake BMW's for sale, first of all they would unlikely have the same safety standards & actual quality, they would just look the same and be of cheaper standard, they would still be illegal!

I am not arguing with you, as I agree with you, I just wanted to clarify the fact that it does not make Counterfeits right!

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

I know not all parents can afford the genuine item but i don't understand the disparaging comments about the genuine item. What did they offer to this thread?

If fake items are being sold then surely that is the issue.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Cat among the pigeons here, but if the said blocks are 'compatible' with Lego, surely that can be legally (eBay legal) be included in a title or description. They are not fake, persay, but a cheaper brand that will in fact interlink with Lego. I sell cookware that is compatible with induction cooktops, I am not trying to say I sell the cooktop.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

2106greencat, the issue with saying it is compatible with LEGO is that LEGO is a brand name. This is a vast difference to saying you sell cookware compatible with induction cooktops, as "Induction Cooktops" is not a brand name.

You would not say in your listing title "Brand New Dyson DC12 Hoover" for example. Hoover is a Brand Name, even though a lot of people use Hoover to describe a Vacuum Cleaner.

So really the problem with using "compatible with LEGO" is that it is purposely using the word LEGO in the title to affect their search results & it confuses people. What they could do is say "Compatible with other Interlocking Bricks" or something similar.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

But the bricks may not be compatible with all other interlocking bricks.  How do you indicate to the buyer that these bricks are compatible with LEGO if you are not allowed to mention LEGO.

My own children (now 39 and 43) were given numerous sets of "LEGO" over the years by well meaning elderly relatives and friends who had no idea that all interlocking bricks were not the same. At least if a listing says that bricks are compatible with LEGO then people can buy them knowing that the child will be able to use them with genuine LEGO.

I understand the issues of keyword spamming, but I have to agree with greencat....saying something is compatible with a brand name item is giving the buyer necessary information, not saying it is that brand.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Lyndal, I believe you are allowed to put this information in the Listing Description, why does it need to be in the title of the listing?

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply