Customer pays for item that is pick up only, and asks to send item with a "I pay for postage"

This happened to me a few times.

Previously I just refunded the money, not interested in BS.

This time I suggested to arrange their own currier since the thing is too big for postage. So he asks for address. I supplied postcode and now there is no further contact.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Customer pays for item that is pick up only, and asks to send item with a "I pay for postage"

I am not a seller, but from what I have read here usually in such situations sellers cancel with the reason "problem with buyer's address".

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I think a general fake bidder time waster

Do as advised, plus then add them to your blocked bidder list so the can't do the same nonsense again

If they can't be bothered asking before buying, I'd not bother with them

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

OMG yes, just cancel with problem with seller's address.

I've been there, done that (many years ago as a seller) and the bottom line is the buyer probably wouldn't be overly happy, even if they did arrange a courier, because the total price of the item is then pushed way up and they seem to expect the item will be way better because they paid 'more'.

In your case, you're lucky. The buyer sounds as if he has had a change of heart once he realised the potential extra cost. It's a bit rude of him not to at least let you know but my guess is he doesn't want it so you may as well cancel now and relist.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

No change of heart that I am aware. May be went to work, who knows. The courier charges would be $40, very reasonable considering the item is 7kg and 1.7m long, but I am reluctant to ship second hand stuff due to potential recant based on alleged faults. Pick up is as is, no questions.  If he sends a currier, do I make the currier sign something to prove it was shipped?

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

How can he send a courier to a postcode - if that's all you supplied.

Do as advised - cancel the sale - problem with buyers address.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Pickups require a buyer to have a bar code scanned by you which will not work. The only other option would be to get the tracking number and company that picks it up and enter that into the tracking info so it will show up delivered. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

I'm with the OP - I would not take the chance on the buyer.

Pick up - the item can be determined - and either taken or left - sending another matter.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I think you will find they are only asking what would they do to prove pick up by the buyer if a courier is organised down the track. 

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

I actually read this bit.

, but I am reluctant to ship second hand stuff due to potential recant based on alleged faults. Pick up is as is, no questions.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply