DSR's - Sellers get 1/ 2 because AusPost takes too long to deliver ?? FAIR GO!

Is eBay even considering looking at / revising the system for Buyers who want to leave a 1 / 2 in DSR, or Neg FB ?

I post out the day after payment. Sometimes AP does great - like 1 - 3 day deleivey time. Other times, to the same destination 5+ days .....or more. eg over Xmas.  How is it  Fair or reflective on the Seller to get a 1 / 2 for postage time?  Surely, a Buyer should be required to show that they have communicated any concerns to the Seller before leaving a Neg or low DSR's.

Afterall, eBay has guidelines for Buyers as to how to detirmine a score - problem is what buyer reads them?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I think the wording is the problems.
"Postage Time" can be interpreted many ways. It should be "Handling Time". Delivery is not something within a sellers control, and eBay should stop estimating the time it takes for a parcel to arrive to a buyer.

Same goes with "Postage & Handling Charges". It should really just be "Handling Charges" considering postage prices are set by Australia Post, not the seller. I used to charge UNDER what AusPost was charging and still got a 1/2 start because the buyer thought it was overpriced.

DSR's are a joke.
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

This topic has come up many times on board and I have contacted customer service about it and I've found in Nov/Dec last year eBay actually adjusted and took off low rating on mine as they have proof that I posted the same day or the next day.

Might help but I have a paragraph on all my listings, not sure if buyers read it but I've had no 1/2 ratings on postage for months & I post from Perth.

"BUYERS PLEASE BEAR THIS IN MIND WHEN LEAVING 'POSTAGE TIME' STAR RATINGS FOR SELLERS - YOU'RE RATING HOW QUICKLY I POSTED YOUR ITEM NOT HOW QUICKLY (OR SLOWLY) AUSTRALIA POST DELIVERED IT."

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

The other thing you might find you get slugged for is when a buyer pays using echeque.

These take 5/6 days to clear and obviously delay shipping until they clear.

Mostly these are new buyers and they don't have a clue about the clearance time on their echeques.

We just get hit for postage time.

I would like to block buyers who want to pay by echeque but don't think you can.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

There is nothing eBay can do about people who don't pay attention to what they're doing, and/or decide to rate on time it took to receive as opposed to time it took for the seller to post.

It doesn't matter that the DSR on FB profiles says "Postage time", this is what it says when someone goes to leave feedback:

leaving feedback.JPG

It is very clear to me, and the average eBay I suspect, what the rating is asking for, but many people have no idea when an item was actually posted because receiving an item is the first "real" indication from the seller that their purchase was acknowledged / handled, they don't take any stated handling time into account, and just have the notion that a domestic purchase should arrive in a couple of days, and if it doesn't, it's gotta be because the seller delayed postage.

I know that eBay send auto-generated emails at certain points in a transaction, but most buyers know they're auto-gens, and many also know marking an item as posted doesn't make it so (instances where tracking numbers can prove date and time of lodgement notwithstanding). 

I know my practices aren't for everybody, for reasons of practicality or otherwise, but I send a message to most of my buyers as soon as possible after payment that advises of exact postage date, which means that they get real confirmation within a very short time (rather than up to several days later) that their order has been acknowledged and is genuinely progressing. If payment is via eCheque, I make it very clear the item will be posted when PayPal clear the funds and provide the estimated clearance date. I've been doing it that way for 4 years, and postage time is the one DSR I have never had a low rating for. (I'll get one now, most likely Smiley LOL )

Incidentally, you can't block eCheques on eBay, but you can if you accept it on your own website, and maybe some other ecommerce sites.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

The system is flawed, but more importantly, unnecessary.

I have some customers make instant PayPal payments to then message me 2hrs later complaining that their item has not been received. I cant stop this unreasonable person leaving a low rating.

Some people will give you a low rating for no other reason than the fact that they just can.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

My last neg from some fool who thought I am australia post and deliver the mail myself, mind you it took 5 days for his echeque to clear, which was also my fault.

I wish ebay would do away with DSR's they are just unfair

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Yes i have noticed that. My dashboard says my postage time is slow, the majority of my items were posted same day if purchased by 3 pm. They were always posted that day and lodged with the post office and a tracking number was given to the buyer, so no way should they be low. I see with now have the privilege of another postage rise to go with their fantastic service. Lucky us 😕 lol

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Yeah, but some bases you just can't cover. I sold an item last Friday afternoon at about 4.45pm and received a pm on Monday morning at about 11.30 am, asking where it was, I didn't answer immediately because I was at the PO posting the thing.

When I did mark it as posted and answered the message, she replied back that I had ''1 day handling time' in my listing!

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Omg lol you just can't win hey. 😕
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply