DSRs contradicted by feedback

cq_tech
Community Member

I sold an item last July for which the buyer left me positive feedback which stated "fast delivery item pretty much as described" then promptly hit me with a 3 for item description, which of course is a defect. In my opinion, doing so directly contradicts the feedback he left. At the time, I blocked him and left a reply to his feedback which named him and warned other sellers to be wary but now I am wondering if it's worth contacting CS with a view to having that defect removed because of that contradiciton.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@cq_tech wrote:
I remember that thread, and you're saying that eBay still haven't removed the defect? You must be absolutely ropable by now (I know I would be). What is it with eBay's complete lack of respect towards the people who pay their wages - their sellers? Do they want us here or not? I've become so disillusioned by this whole DSR and defect business that I'm ready to give it all away in disgust.

As I said elsewhere recently, eBay really has become the Titanic of theinternet and is sinking faster than anybody could have imagined. Dunno about you, but I think it's about time to abandon ship before I go down with it. I don't think I've ever seen a company so intent on self-destruction as I have eBay, and I have to say they've done a bloody good job of it.

Yep cq, still fighting to have it removed - it's pathetic beyond words & hahaha, yes I am ropable (typical red-head, steam appearing from all directions !) and I won't give up on this one - never !!  I am beyond *^#@!^ off, because when this new system started I suddenly had 4 Defects - never ever a neg or neutral & they never showed in the Report, all I ever got from that was Congratulations you have no Defects, so I fought over them for so long I did give up.  Then the months I apparently received them in changed - what a load of utter BS !!  So not giving up on this one.  And at least 2 of the others will drop off this month (supposedly anyway - we'll see).  Another one was moved to January or February and the other one April ?!?

Haha, the Titanic of the Internet for sure, but we can't afford to all throw in the towel, like it or not at least at the moment, I think most would still be doing better here than elsewhere.  I know there are other venues tried one and it's almost impossible for new Buyers to open an account (that is said from experience with a few loyal customers who tried to follow me Smiley LOL ), but I do have a couple of other options I will be trying in the New Year - time permitting.  To be honest, this place  (along with other responsibilities of course) takes up so much of my time,  I'm not sure I have time to commit to anything else & give it 100%  time & effort & just trialling another site doesn't seem to work.

So while there are still buyers here extending a rescue arm or life jacket, I bite my tongue as much as possible, grit my teeth, keep paddling and hang in !

The hardest bit to accept is eBay's complete lack of respect towards the people who pay their wages - their sellers

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
Helen, I'm very loath to call buyers idiots while I still have some listings up, but I'd be lying if I said I thought any differently. All 3 of my defects were from either malicious or stupid buyers and I've had a gutful of eBay for intentionally setting up sellers to fail, especially at the hands of ignorant or stupid buyers who should know better. I've decided that I won't be coming back after Christmas and believe me, I won't be sorry to see the back of this bloody place either.

Yes, CQ - pretty darn soul destroying.

I hope you stay & chat.

I am going back out into the garden - don the gloves & take it out on the weeds.

Robot Sad

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

Too clean got you a neg? You have to be kidding.

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

We have received (or will rather) a defect on one of our selling accounts that looks like a serious ebay error.

We sold an item about a week ago and the buyer subsequently left us very good positive feedback.

However, today when retrieving defect reports I found a low DSR (item as described) rating for an item left by the buyer who left us glowing POS FB. I found which buyer it was by tracking the item number and transaction date. The only item of this type on that date as it happened. So it was very clear which buyer it was related to.

So I decided to contact the buyer about this. I wrote a very polite message of enquiry. The buyer responded within 5-minutes saying she was extremely happy with the items and service and clearly recalls leaving us all 5's on DSR ratings as it was only in the past few days. Certainly in no way has she left anything low.

So it seems the report I have downloaded today is showing a fake low DSR rating which will translate into a defect.

The defect has not registered on our account as yet because its too soon, but next Wed it will on the weekly updates.

I am hoping that when the defect shows up that it should be simple to get it removed as the buyer has categorically denied leaving any low ratings and any such low rating conflicts with her great POS FB anyway.

Just on how many occasions is this kind of thing happening? It's bad enough we get slapped with these defects in any case but to get fake ones we have to fight to have removed is pretty darned terrible really.

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

Clarry, I remember quite a while back that the eBay app was giving negs instead of pos feedback, since it's been posted on the forums that there are still serious ongoing problems with the app, could this possibly be a cause of defects coming up???

If that could be proven it would give grounds for the whole "defect" process to be canned............wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air for sellers ( I'm not a seller but I feel for you guys and girls with this outrageous system in place.....)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

Does the buyer get a pop up notice if they choose 3 for a rating (item as described) asking them to be sure they want to give a low  score or similar?

If not, I can see buyers  just thinking of 3 as an average/neutral score. Not exceptionally good/not a bad transaction either.

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

with 1 or 2 stars for "item as described" the buyer sees this.....

Why weren't you satisfied with the item description?

Item was not received
Quality did not match item description
Item was damaged
Item was a counterfeit, replica, or an unauthorised copy
Wrong item
Other

With 3 stars it's just blank, no questions at all................crazy really if it's going to count as a defect............ 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

I know with app id does not warn you if you give low dsr, the stars will change colour from yellow to red, but for red it is one star, still no warning, only time it asks you if your shure to leave feedback is if you go for neutral or neg. I remember when i first started i knew the stars were for something but not really understood them.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

I do blame the buyer as it happens, because the item was brand new in its box.

How could it be anything but exactly as described, and therefore worth 5 stars?

Did you also know that eBay don't warn the buyer that giving a 3 triggers a defect?

Gosh let me count the ways how a brand new in box item may be assessed as less than 5 stars by a buyer:

- Item description of goods missing information (ie Made in China - when buyer assumes product is Australian Made)

- Item description of goods contains subtle or explicit misleading information

- Quality of item unclear or misleading in description

- Photos of item - poor quality - particularly when close ups when are relevant to goods, not enough photos (important details not shown in photos)

- Item specifics missing

- Photos or description do not adequately potray dimensions of item

- Color difference between on-screen display and actual item

etc etc etc the list could go on and on and on .......

Buyers perceptions vary considerably -  that is fact - does not make them malicious, or less intelligent or anything, buyers expectations just differ.  

I have left 3s myself in the past for new in box goods that were poor in quality and were "talked up" in the descriptions and photos with glossy product shots, that did not reveal inferior aspects of manufacture and quality.

Lol 5 stars for new in box CQ

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

I take your point cats, but in this case there were more photographs than necessary and the item's description and technical specs were taken directly from the user's manual (it was a set top box, as it happens, so none of your possible arguments are really applicable in this instance). I don't think I was the least bit naive in expecting a 5 for the item description.
Message 30 of 42
Latest reply