'Defects' Becoming More Buyer Personality than Seller Performance

Two instances of 'defects' on my Seller Dashboard are of concern.

First instance is a 'defect' for 2 items which were mutually cancelled (due to the buyer in Chile not willing to pay the relevant postage asked for by PayPal Policies).

Instead of just asking for a refund - having agreed to the cancellation - the buyer immediately opened an 'item not received' through PayPal.

A full refund was given - of course - the transactions were cancelled.

The 'item not received' defect stands.

Second instance is a buyer leaving positive feedback QUOTE 'A splendid exotic pendant arrived in mint condition'. UNQUOTE.

This feedback was accompanied by a 'defect' of 'item not as described'. ?????

Seems the system is more buyer personality than seller performance and begs the question of how on earth it can be of use to help sellers 'lift their game'.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: 'Defects' Becoming More Buyer Personality than Seller Performance

@dylan11235813 wrote:

It's also against ebay policy to contact buyers about a low DSR rating.

That's what I thought too because I'd read it somewhere. However, when I contacted eBay to see if there was anything I could do about the low DSR, they said to contact the buyer and ask if it was a mistake and ask whether they would contact eBay to have it removed. I double checked with eBay given what I had read, and even put a link in my reply and they still said to go ahead and contact the buyer. Doesn't make sense to me. Either you can contact them or you can't!

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

rating of 3  for DSR are only traceable back a month or two on reports. Not sure if it will stay that way or whether thats just when they strarted logging them.

Otherwise under trending data link 3s are now added to the totals per month, whereas it used to only show 1s & 2s

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

@ilovemychooks wrote:

@dylan11235813 wrote:

It's also against ebay policy to contact buyers about a low DSR rating.

That's what I thought too because I'd read it somewhere. However, when I contacted eBay to see if there was anything I could do about the low DSR, they said to contact the buyer and ask if it was a mistake and ask whether they would contact eBay to have it removed. I double checked with eBay given what I had read, and even put a link in my reply and they still said to go ahead and contact the buyer. Doesn't make sense to me. Either you can contact them or you can't!

The only place I have seen it is when I generated a DSR report and it is stated it at the bottom of the report. It then says to refer to the feedback manipulation policy with a link which doesn't really say anything about it.

Ebays system also allows sellers to send a feedback revision request to buyers....

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

Another interesting point is if the 'case' is opened in PayPal for 'item not received' or 'not as described' it will show on their (PPs) Resolution Centre. But It will NOT show in eBay's Resolution Centre but automatically will show in your eBay defects. Obviously there is a connection with PP & eBay - but that close - really. Next you know we will have 'black dots' from PayPal - even Westpac may step in.
Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

Oh forgot. Noticed the information about the defect grid is 'updated' weekly. Rang eBay to ask what day of the week does the update occur. Was told it was from Monday - Sunday, therefore updated every Monday. Possibly what shows is not a true report until each update.
Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

Im purposely not looking at my seller dashboard. I get tempted but I know what will happen if I see the tiniest little defect. I can handle neutral or neg feed back as its up front but this defect strategy is ....mmmmm    BLEEPED....I Better not say any more

Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

My husband bought something the other day and the seller sent a message the next day saying that he didn't have any of that item left, had issued an immediate full refund and sent a request for cancellation. He sent the request as an item not in stock (or whatever the wording is). Of course I accepted it, but I added a message saying I hoped he didn't get a defect for that particular transaction due to eBay's defective defect system. He's a large volume seller and replied that he hadn't heard of the defect system. He checked and sure enough, he had been defected. I guess some people don't keep up to date with the latest things and maybe don't want to know. I suggested in future that he sends them as an 'other' and he was very grateful for my suggestion.

Would he still have got the defect if I didn't accept the cancellation?

Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

Hmm dunno,i don't think eBay really knows either.

Seems it's a clumsy ridiculous system not well thought out before it was implemented

I only got 1 neg from maybe 10mth ago & I'm not even sure it was meant to be for my item,who knows,she was a serial neg leaver anyway.

I want to see eBays performance dashboard ! How many negs & nasty comments would be on that?

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

eBay is entitled to set whatever rules it likes I suppose - BUT - if eBay is going to introduce a system of "defects" that is going to impact on seller rankings in search (and in some countries eligibility for fee reductions which I suspect is the REAL agenda here) they need to make sure it is fairly bullet proof.

Limited scope for accidental low scores, a mechanism that makes sure buyers understand what they are doing, basic checks and balances (so for example simple things like you can't get a defect for postage time while it's still within the estimated delivery schedule) and an ability to genuinely have a defect reviewed ought to be built in to this.

None of this is in place as far as I can see. That is bordering on negligent/arrogant/unconscionable - take your pick.

I can see that when this comes into play in three weeks time in the US and sellers there start to lose discounts on fees the ambulance chasing legal profession in the US will sense a chance for new blood!

Will be interesting.

Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

@cmcoins2000 wrote:

Two instances of 'defects' on my Seller Dashboard are of concern.

First instance is a 'defect' for 2 items which were mutually cancelled (due to the buyer in Chile not willing to pay the relevant postage asked for by PayPal Policies).

Instead of just asking for a refund - having agreed to the cancellation - the buyer immediately opened an 'item not received' through PayPal.

A full refund was given - of course - the transactions were cancelled.

The 'item not received' defect stands.

Second instance is a buyer leaving positive feedback QUOTE 'A splendid exotic pendant arrived in mint condition'. UNQUOTE.

This feedback was accompanied by a 'defect' of 'item not as described'. ?????

Seems the system is more buyer personality than seller performance and begs the question of how on earth it can be of use to help sellers 'lift their game'.

eBay has made a point of empowering the buyer effectively turning on god mode for them. We as subjects are exposed to their bending will. The buyer/s in Chile would have felt compelled to punish you. Then a series of unfortunate events unfold where you chase the obvious injustice to fix it. But as you know you're flogging a dead horse and eventually you give up without the just result defeated again. Something really wrong with this common theme we see people.

Message 20 of 35
Latest reply