'Defects' Becoming More Buyer Personality than Seller Performance

Two instances of 'defects' on my Seller Dashboard are of concern.

First instance is a 'defect' for 2 items which were mutually cancelled (due to the buyer in Chile not willing to pay the relevant postage asked for by PayPal Policies).

Instead of just asking for a refund - having agreed to the cancellation - the buyer immediately opened an 'item not received' through PayPal.

A full refund was given - of course - the transactions were cancelled.

The 'item not received' defect stands.

Second instance is a buyer leaving positive feedback QUOTE 'A splendid exotic pendant arrived in mint condition'. UNQUOTE.

This feedback was accompanied by a 'defect' of 'item not as described'. ?????

Seems the system is more buyer personality than seller performance and begs the question of how on earth it can be of use to help sellers 'lift their game'.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: 'Defects' Becoming More Buyer Personality than Seller Performance

cq_tech
Community Member
I know exactly how you feel. I also received an "item not as described" defect for a sale where the buyer left positive feedback which clearly stated "Item as described", which means that he must have scored it as 3 or less on the DSR. The sooner this appallingly unfair system is abolished, the better IMO.
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

The problem seems to be when buyers leave DSR's on their smart phones.  
Apparently it's easy to make a mistake when using ebay's phone app.
What's not fair is that we sellers have to wear the defects, because ebay won't/can't remove them.

Both of these instances are Case in Point.  Why would buyers leave positive feedback, then purposefully hit low DSR's.
Okay so we can contact the buyers, and ask them to look at changing the DSR's, but what a problem.  
The procedure to remove them is so convoluted and complicated, that it's embarrassing to have to ask them to do so.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

I don't think a lot of buyers realise that DSR's are now no longer anonymous. I know my buyer who gave me raving positive feedback and then a 2 star rating for postage cost (actual cost $6.80, charged postage cost $7) didn't know. When I asked him about it he said "oh, I thought they were anonymous". No they're not! I did ask him to contact eBay and ask to have it removed, which he said he would, but he never did. I replied to his positive feedback with his username and said something like "leaves positive feedback and low DSR's", so anyone else can see who it actually is. Would be interesting to know how many others he does it to.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Not sure what the DSR s use is when:

Positive = Happy with purchase & can explain why.

Negative = Unhappy with purchase & can explain why.

Neutral = Not happy or unhappy but can explain why.

The stack against the seller is growing - all paths lead to the buyer - stupid really as - no sellers, no buyers.

Bring back the even playing field of Feedback - all Feedback - for Buyers & Sellers.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

It's also against ebay policy to contact buyers about a low DSR rating.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

eBay are trying to do their best to protect sellers.

See the following - think they are all out to lunch.

•  

•  

•  

•  

Fair performance evaluation

We look at your performance as a whole. We don't want your ratings to be skewed by just one unfortunate transaction or difficult buyer, and we want you to be able to focus on providing great service to trustworthy, reliable customers.

To measure your overall performance as accurately and fairly as possible:

• Sellers with 400 or more transactions over the past three months are evaluated based on the past three months, whereas sellers with fewer than 400 transactions are evaluated based on the past 12 months.

• The defect rate won't affect your status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers (at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status) within your evaluation period.

• There can only be one defect per transaction. For example, if a buyer opens a purchase protection case and also leaves a neutral Feedback rating on the same transaction, it will only count as one defect in total.

• We also have a few safeguards in place to protect your ratings and help you out in case you have a problem. For example, we consider a buyer's pattern for opening cases and leaving low detailed seller ratings – and protect you when necessary. Learn more about our seller protection policy.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

How do you find out who left the low dsr. I have 1 , nothing on my seller dashboard I can find. Thanks.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

They have change that again so go to

Account

Dashboard

Performance to date-2.06% defects (well that's my eBay related defects)

Under canceled transactions in tiny blue print is-download a report

Have to sign in again

Expand or download a full report.I just click on expand & it has a grid thing with x under the defects & the item no. so you can track the problem,think it has the date also.I don't think it has the offending eBay defects,just from transactions with actual sales.I got 3 there& another 4 from eBay.Aww thanks eBay,it's just what i wanted!

& there you have it!

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for that, have found where to go, but the item no, is way back. tried for the date, so had to go back into my accounr, now they are saying not the right password, so thats it for the night. try again tomorrow. 

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply